|By Marketwired .||
|July 29, 2014 04:55 PM EDT||
CAMPBELL, CA--(Marketwired - July 29, 2014) - Market research firm Infonetics Research released excerpts from its 2014 SDN Strategies: North American Enterprise Survey, which analyzes the trends and assesses the needs of corporate private-network businesses deploying software-defined networking (SDN) in their data centers and campus LANs.
"Software-defined networking (SDN) spells opportunity for existing and new vendors, and the time to act is now. The leaders in the SDN market serving the enterprise will be solidified during the next two years as lab trials give way to live production deployments in 2015 and significant growth by 2016. The timelines for businesses moving from lab trials to live production for the data center and LAN are almost identical," notes Cliff Grossner, Ph.D., directing analyst for data center, cloud, and SDN at Infonetics Research.
Continues Grossner: "There's still some work to do on the part of SDN vendors. Expectations for SDN are clear, but there are still serious concerns about the maturity of the technology and the business case. Vendors need to work with their lead enterprise customers to complete lab trials and provide public demonstrations of success."
SDN SURVEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Infonetics' enterprise respondents are expanding the number of data center sites and LAN sites they operate over the next 2 years and are investing significant capital on servers and LAN Ethernet switching equipment
- A majority of survey respondents are currently conducting data center SDN lab trials or will do so this year; 45% are planning to have SDN in live production in the data center in 2015, growing to 87% in 2016
- Respondents' plans for LAN SDN are nearly identical to their data center plans
- Among respondents, the top drivers for deploying SDN are improving management capabilities and improving application performance, while potential network interruptions and interoperability with existing network equipment are the leading barriers
- Meanwhile, enabling hybrid cloud is dead last on the list of drivers, a sign that SDN vendors have some work to do in educating enterprises that SDN can be an important enabler of hybrid cloud architectures
- On average, 17% of respondents' data center Ethernet switch ports are on bare metal switches, and only 21% of those are in-use for SDN
- Nearly ¼ of businesses surveyed are ready to consider non-traditional network vendors for their SDN applications and orchestration software
SDN SURVEY SYNOPSIS
For its 42-page SDN enterprise survey, Infonetics interviewed 101 purchase-decision makers at medium and large North American organizations that are implementing software-defined networks (SDNs) now or planning to evaluate SDNs by the end of 2015. The survey provides new data on how the enterprise SDN market is evolving, including insights on the intent of corporate private network buyers to help vendors determine how to invest in product development and position their products in the marketplace. The study delves into deployment drivers and barriers, rollout plans, applications, use cases, vendors installed and under evaluation, and top-rated vendors. To buy the report, contact Infonetics: www.infonetics.com/contact.asp.
INFONETICS IS HIRING
Infonetics Research is hiring analysts, account directors, research, and audience development people. See jobs at www.infonetics.com/jobopp.asp.
RELATED REPORT EXCERPTS
- Infonetics' latest Data Center, Cloud, and SDN research brief:
- US$1 trillion to be spent on telecom and datacom equipment and software over next 5 years
- Infonetics releases Global Telecom and Datacom Market Trends and Drivers report
- 16G Fibre Channel ramping fast, already 42% of the global SAN market in 1Q14
- Ethernet 10G and 100G service revenue set to grow 300% by 2018
- SDN and NFV to bring about shift in data center security investments
- ADC and WAN optimization markets being reenergized by IPOs and startups' SDN play
- Cloud service providers and enterprises on divergent paths when it comes to public cloud
- Global Telecom and Datacom Market Trends and Drivers (June)
- Analyst Note: Vendors Say Cloud Is Imperative, Users Say, "Not So Fast" (June)
- Analyst Note: LTE is Over, Here Comes 5G! (June)
- Analyst Note: Michael Howard Interviews Martin Casado, Father of SDN (June)
- Total Telecom and Datacom Network Equipment and Software Pivot (July)
- Data Center and Enterprise SDN Hardware and Software Forecast (Aug.)
- Data Center Network Equipment Forecast - 2Q14 (Sept.)
- SAN and Converged Data Center Network Equipment Forecast - 2Q14 (Sept.)
- Data Center SDN Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey (Fall 2014)
- Telecommunications Equipment Vendor Scorecard (Fall 2014)
- Making Your Network Run Hotter With SDN (Sept. 4: Learn more)
- The Role of NFV in Mobile Networks (Sept. 25: Learn more)
- SDN and NFV Roundup of Trials and Deployments (Oct. 23: Learn more)
- Respond Faster to Security Threats and Breaches (View on-demand)
- NFV: An Easier Initial Target Than SDN? (View on-demand)
- Making Mobile Backhaul Flexible with NFV and SDN (Sponsorships available)
- SDN and Hybrid Cloud: Getting the Most from the WAN (Sponsorships available)
- Architecting Application Delivery Control for SDN (Sponsorships available)
- SDN: vSwitch or ToR, Where is the Network Intelligence, and Why? (Sponsorships available)
TO BUY REPORTS, CONTACT:
N. America (West), Asia Pacific: Larry Howard [email protected] +1 408-583-3335
N.A. (East, Midwest), L. America, EMEA: Scott Coyne [email protected] +1 408-583-3395
Greater China, SE Asia, India: 大中华区 Jeffrey Song [email protected] +86 21-3919-8505
Japan 日本 Takashi Kimura, TAK Analytics [email protected] +81 3-6408-5566
South Korea 대한민국 Doug Moon, MBAP [email protected] +82 2-3453-9400
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics' About Us slides here.
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Feb. 26, 2017 07:00 AM EST
In an era of historic innovation fueled by unprecedented access to data and technology, the low cost and risk of entering new markets has leveled the playing field for business. Today, any ambitious innovator can easily introduce a new application or product that can reinvent business models and transform the client experience. In their Day 2 Keynote at 19th Cloud Expo, Mercer Rowe, IBM Vice President of Strategic Alliances, and Raejeanne Skillern, Intel Vice President of Data Center Group and G...
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 4,272
Financial Technology has become a topic of intense interest throughout the cloud developer and enterprise IT communities. Accordingly, attendees at the upcoming 20th Cloud Expo at the Javits Center in New York, June 6-8, 2017, will find fresh new content in a new track called FinTech.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 6,284
@GonzalezCarmen has been ranked the Number One Influencer and @ThingsExpo has been named the Number One Brand in the “M2M 2016: Top 100 Influencers and Brands” by Onalytica. Onalytica analyzed tweets over the last 6 months mentioning the keywords M2M OR “Machine to Machine.” They then identified the top 100 most influential brands and individuals leading the discussion on Twitter.
Feb. 26, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 5,774
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Feb. 26, 2017 05:00 AM EST Reads: 4,843
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Feb. 26, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 8,495
SYS-CON Events announced today that delaPlex will exhibit at SYS-CON's @CloudExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. delaPlex pioneered Software Development as a Service (SDaaS), which provides scalable resources to build, test, and deploy software. It’s a fast and more reliable way to develop a new product or expand your in-house team.
Feb. 26, 2017 03:15 AM EST Reads: 2,026
Feb. 26, 2017 03:00 AM EST Reads: 2,760
"Matrix is an ambitious open standard and implementation that's set up to break down the fragmentation problems that exist in IP messaging and VoIP communication," explained John Woolf, Technical Evangelist at Matrix, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Feb. 26, 2017 02:30 AM EST Reads: 13,723
Feb. 26, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 4,781
The explosion of new web/cloud/IoT-based applications and the data they generate are transforming our world right before our eyes. In this rush to adopt these new technologies, organizations are often ignoring fundamental questions concerning who owns the data and failing to ask for permission to conduct invasive surveillance of their customers. Organizations that are not transparent about how their systems gather data telemetry without offering shared data ownership risk product rejection, regu...
Feb. 25, 2017 10:30 PM EST Reads: 1,876
The security needs of IoT environments require a strong, proven approach to maintain security, trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vic...
Feb. 25, 2017 09:00 PM EST Reads: 9,134
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,920
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Feb. 25, 2017 08:00 PM EST Reads: 13,568
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Feb. 25, 2017 07:30 PM EST Reads: 1,833
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
Feb. 25, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 8,844
SYS-CON Events announced today that IoT Now has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IoT Now explores the evolving opportunities and challenges facing CSPs, and it passes on some lessons learned from those who have taken the first steps in next-gen IoT services.
Feb. 25, 2017 07:00 PM EST Reads: 1,727
SYS-CON Events announced today that WineSOFT will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Based in Seoul and Irvine, WineSOFT is an innovative software house focusing on internet infrastructure solutions. The venture started as a bootstrap start-up in 2010 by focusing on making the internet faster and more powerful. WineSOFT’s knowledge is based on the expertise of TCP/IP, VPN, SSL, peer-to-peer, mob...
Feb. 25, 2017 06:45 PM EST Reads: 1,950
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Feb. 25, 2017 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,200
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Feb. 25, 2017 06:00 PM EST Reads: 7,700