|By Business Wire||
|May 22, 2014 11:23 AM EDT||
Partner Communications Company Ltd. ("Partner" or the "Company") (NASDAQ:PTNR) (TASE:PTNR), a leading Israeli communications operator, announces, following the Company's press release and immediate report dated November 8, 2013 regarding the entering into a network sharing agreement with HOT Mobile Ltd. ("Hot Mobile"), a wholly owned subsidiary of Hot Telecommunication Systems Ltd., an Israeli cellular telecommunications operator (the "NSA"), that on May 22, 2014, the Antitrust Commissioner (the "Commissioner") resolved to approve the NSA, subject to conditions.
According to the NSA, the Company and Hot Mobile (the "Companies") would create a 50%-50% joint venture (the "JV"), which would operate and develop a cellular network to be shared by both Companies (inter alia, as a result of pooling both Companies' radio access network infrastructures to create a single radio access network) (the "Shared Network"). The JV will operate to optimize the Shared Network by reducing the number of network sites, while improving network coverage and capacity and introducing new technology, in order to improve network efficiency, optimize operating costs and reduce environmental impact.
The Commissioner approved the NSA subject to conditions, the main of which are as follows:
- Prohibition on exchange of information that is not required for the activities of the JV;
- Limitations with respect to the serving as an officer or employee in either of the Companies concurrent with serving as an officer or employee of the JV and certain cooling off periods were set in case of transition of officers and employees from the JV to the Companies. However, this should not prevent the JV from employing employees or officers, that are currently serving as employees or officers in the Companies;
- Rules regarding the administration and documentation of the meetings of the JV organs were set;
- Either of the Companies shall be allowed, at any time and at its sole discretion, to engage in an agreement with a third party for the provision of cellular telecommunications services that involves use of the core network of that Company. All of the rights and obligations deriving from such service agreement shall apply solely to that Company and the JV shall not be a party to such service agreement and will not be entitled to payments payable pursuant to it;
After a period of seven years from the date of the Commissioner
approval or after a period of six years from the issue date of all the
approvals of the Ministry of Communications, whichever is earlier, the
Commissioner shall be allowed to notify the Companies of the
cancellation of his resolution, if he has concluded that the
establishment of the JV, its existence or operations are liable to be
substantively detrimental to the competition (the "Cancellation
Notice"). If a Cancellation Notice is issued, a graduated layout
of dismantling the JV activity was set in the Commissioner resolution,
a. at the end of two years after the issuance of the Cancellation Notice, the JV shall cease all activity apart from the management, maintenance and operation of the passive network.
b. at the end of five years after the issuance of the Cancellation Notice, the companies shall dismantle the JV and shall separate their assets fully and entirely.
On May 15, 2014 the Ministry of Communications ("MOC")
published a policy document regarding the sharing of a broadband access
network of an MRT general licensee (to which a supportive economic
opinion was attached) (the "Policy Document"), the main
provisions of which will be detailed below. The Company estimates that
the NSA is essentially in line with the principals of the Policy
Document and is in the process of obtaining the MOC approvals required
for the implementation of NSA.
The Company is reviewing the content of the Policy Document and its implications.
The main provisions of the Policy Document, after an initial review:
1. The MOC is encouraging and will continue to encourage passive sharing of network sites and masts only, and active sharing of antennas only (no sharing of spectrum) among all operators.
2. In general, the MOC sees an advantage to active sharing on a multi-operator core network (MOCN) format (sharing of antennas, spectrum and radio equipment) over active sharing using a multi-operator radio access network (MORAN) format (sharing of antennas and radio equipment without sharing of spectrum), considering the need to increase the efficient use of the spectrum of frequencies. Nevertheless, the MOC is not ruling out the possibility that, under special circumstances, it might deem it appropriate to approve an agreement under a MORAN format.
3. In general, the MOC will allow the sharing of transmission from cell sites to the centralized radio base stations in a bandwidth-sharing configuration. However, under exceptional conditions and at the MOC’s discretion, it might allow sharing of transmission from the cell sites to the centralized radio base stations in other cases as well.
4. When examining individual network-sharing agreements, the MOC will take into account the considerations specified in the Policy Document which relate to four key aspects: the existing level of competition and the potential for harm to the competition, the existing and expected inventory of frequencies and how efficiently the frequencies are being used, survivability and redundancy of the networks from the national perspective, and ensuring the level of telecommunications services over time.
5. Based on that stated above, the MOC has drafted principle guidelines that will be used to examine each individual network-sharing agreement that shall be submitted for its approval. Following are the main guidelines:
a. Principals pertaining to the cooperating operator:
(1) Sharing under an MOCN format will be allowed only in instances deemed to be necessary in order to sustain the existing MRT operators in the future market; i.e., this sharing will not be approved for two MRT operators with a fully deployed 3G MRT network, but will be considered in relation to a new operator with a partially deployed 3G MRT network, together with an established operator with a fully deployed 3G network.
(2) The MOC will allow sharing under an MOCN format provided that at least three independent wireless access networks are being operated in every region in Israel.
(3) The MRT operators cooperating in an MOCN format will be obligated to allow additional MRT operators to join the partnership under conditions that are similar to those defined for the operator having the smallest market share at the time it joined the partnership.
(4) Each of the cooperating MRT operators will have independent decision-making on the matter of hosting an MRT operator on another network (MVNO) and any type of coordination among the operators in this regard will be prohibited. The MOC intends on prescribing conditions that will ensure that the hosting agreements will enable MVNOs to compete effectively in the market.
(5) The sharing will in no way diminish from the cooperating operator’s responsibility for supplying MRT services to all of its subscribers pursuant to the terms of its license.
(6) Investments in the shared access network in more advanced technology, such as 4G technology, shall be deemed as part of the fulfillment of an existing MRT operator’s obligations to deploy an independent network operating on other technologies, subject to the fulfillment of a number of conditions.
b. Principals pertaining to management of the partnership and
development of the network:
(1) The MOC will approve network-sharing agreements for a fixed period and may extend them for additional periods, if it finds that circumstances justify doing so.
(2) For the purpose of active sharing under an MOCN format, an independent corporation will be established that will be wholly and jointly owned by the cooperating MRT operators, whose sole purpose is to manage the joint access network for them (the "Corporation”), which shall operate under a license to be granted to it by the MOC. The joint access network will be operated using frequencies being allocated to each of the cooperating MRT operators, with no frequencies allocated separately to the Corporation. The establishment of a corporation for the purpose of network sharing in a format that is other than a MOCN will require the MOC’s approval.
(3) Information will be exchanged solely between a cooperating MRT operator and the Corporation, to the minimum extent for the purpose of the Corporation’s operation. Information between the Corporation and any cooperating MRT operator will be forwarded in a manner that ensures that no information is leaked among the cooperating MRT operators themselves, and in such manner that will not allow any disclosure of confidential trade information about the operations of any cooperating MRT operators. No business coordination of any kind will exist between the cooperating MRT operators.
(4) The network-sharing agreement must address how the technological development of the joint access network will be ensured.
c. Principals pertaining to preserving a cooperating operator’s
(1) The corporation will be obligated to provide service that involves an investment to any cooperating operator who so requests, even without requiring the consent of additional cooperating operators, if the purpose of the service is a technological upgrade of the network, improving network coverage, etc.
(2) Mechanisms will be defined to insulate against the spread of malfunctions in each of the unshared components of the public telecom networks of each of the cooperating operators.
(3) Development of the joint radio network, which will be done at the request of some of the cooperating operators and under their financing, will be used only by those cooperating operators during a timeframe equal to the duration of the development period. Additional cooperating operators seeking to use this development will be able to do so only after the said timeframe has elapsed.
(4) Mechanisms for dismantling and separation will be defined in advance in the network-sharing agreement, in a manner that will ensure the lowest possible exit barriers from the partnership, and that will enable each of the cooperating MRT operators to maintain quality service to consumers subsequent to the dismantling of the partnership. For the purpose of ensuring the above, when dismantling the partnership, each of the parties shall keep ownership of a particular percentage of the joint access network, and conditions can be prescribed in the network-sharing agreement for passive sharing of cell sites or national roaming over a protracted period, which will enable each of the individual operators suitable time to make arrangements for providing advanced service over time.
6. The MOC does not intend to allow any sharing of radio infrastructure, including no sharing of transmission to radio base stations between the Bezeq Group and the Hot Group, which are the sole owners of fixed-line infrastructure in Israel.
7. The Minister of Communications will consider revoking all or a portion of the network-sharing approvals, depending upon the circumstances, if he is convinced that harm has been caused to the level of competition in the market, to the level of coverage or to the level of service to customers.
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the US Securities Act of 1933, as amended, Section 21E of the US Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and the safe harbor provisions of the US Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Words such as "estimates", "believe", "anticipate", "expect", "intend", "seek", "will", "plan", "could", "may", "project", "goal", "target" and similar expressions often identify forward-looking statements but are not the only way we identify these statements. All statements other than statements of historical fact included in this press release regarding anticipated benefits for the Company in terms of reduced network operating costs and accelerated improvements in its cellular network infrastructure quality and capacity as a result of entering into the network sharing agreement with Hot Mobile and any statements regarding other future events or our future prospects, are forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations, and are not guarantees of future performance. Future results may differ materially from those anticipated by these forward-looking statements in the event that, among other potential risks, credit or payment difficulties which will make it difficult for any of the parties to contribute effectively to the financing of the JV; the elimination of network sites results in lower operational savings than expected; other Israeli authorities do not approve the network sharing agreement or require changes which would render the agreement unattractive from the Company’s perspective; the JV experiences management deadlock; or the parties' existing agreements with other Israeli telecommunications companies limit the parties' ability to realize their objectives. If such risks materialize, it may not be possible to establish the JV as the parties intend or at all, the benefits from the JV may be less than anticipated, and the Company may experience unexpected costs for technical, legal or other matters which may arise in connection with its efforts to implement the network sharing agreement. For a description of other risks potentially impacting the Company’s business and strategic development, see the Company's Annual Report on Form 20-F filed with the SEC and published on the Company’s website (http://www.orange.co.il).
About Partner Communications
Partner Communications Company Ltd. ("Partner") is a leading Israeli provider of telecommunications services (cellular, fixed-line telephony and internet services) under the orange™ brand and the 012 Smile brand. Partner’s ADSs are quoted on the NASDAQ Global Select Market™ and its shares are traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange (NASDAQ and TASE: PTNR). For more information about Partner, see: www.orange.co.il/en/Investors-Relations/lobby/
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,000
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,787
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,894
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,330
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,901
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 31, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,660
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,062
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,503
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 31, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,152
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 31, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,806
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 31, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,425
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,516
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,636
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,139
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,940
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,460
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,433
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,373
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 31, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,047
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,241