|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 06:06 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets. After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Region: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey - Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
• Part 1
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda
• Part 2
Status of broadband market in Europe
• Part 3
Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe
• Part 4
Status of satellite broadband market in Europe
• Part 5
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 6
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• Part 7
Introduction to Africa
• Part 8
Status of broadband market in Africa
• Part 9
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 10
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets.
• After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda 9
• Digital Agenda objectives are being met for basic broadband 10
• Objectives of national plans diverging from Digital Agenda for
2. Status of broadband market in Europe 12
• DSL network coverage is improving 13
• Rural coverage still needs to progress 14
• As a consequence of the DAE, bitrates are improving
• Competition from mobile networks gathers pace 16
3. Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe 17
• Migration to ultra-fast broadband continues on the fixed
• Adoption among households remains low 19
• LTE is now launched in most European countries 20
• Mobile operators are now tackling the residential fixed market 21
• Towards the era of the Gbps 22
4. Status of satellite broadband market in Europe 23
• Some Figures on satellite broadband consumers 24
• Satellite access solutions are highly competitive 25
• Satellite access solutions are tailored to tackle under-served
terrestrial markets 26
• Full satellite triple-play packages can be proposed 27
• 5. Satellite operator strategies in Europe 28
• Eutelsat 29
• SES 31
• Avanti 33
• 6. IDATE's assessment and market forecasts for Europe 34
• 7. Introduction to Africa 36
• A market with several barriers to entry 37
• The fast deployment of submarine cables is a game changer 38
• On land, fibre backbone networks are also being deployed 39
• Impact of fibre deployment on satellite bandwidth princing 40
• 8. Status of broadband market in Africa 41
• Africa has less than 5% of world users 42
• Fixed broadband prices are unsustainable 43
• Mobile telephony is becoming the entry point for Internet
• Mobile broadband is progressing rapidly 45
• Mobile broadband pricing is decreasing 46
• 9. Satellite operator strategies in Africa 47
• YahSat 48
• SES and Eutelsat 49
• 10. IDATE's assessement and market forecasts for Africa 50
• IDATE's assessement and market forecats up to 2017 51
• Who are we? 52
• Figure 1: Fixed broadband penetration in Europe 10
• Figure 2: Digital agenda objectives 11
• Figure 3: Total DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 13
• Figure 4: Rural DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 14
• Figure 5: Fixed broadband lines by speed, 2008-2012 15
• Figure 6: Fixed broadband lines by speed, January 2012 15
• Figure 7: Total HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 8: Rural HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 9: FTTx network coverage, end-2011 18
• Figure 10: FTTH/B adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 11: Other FTTx technologies adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 12: Timetable for LTE spectrum in Western Europe 20
• Figure 13: Evolution of LTE coverage in Portugal following use of the
800 MHz band 20
• Figure 14: HomeFusion service offered by Verizon Wireless 21
• Figure 15: LTE service for homes offered by TeliaSonera 21
• Figure 16: Evolution of fixed broadband technologies up to 2030 22
• Figure 17: LTE-Advanced performance 22
• Figure 18: Bandwidth consumption, per subscriber 24
• Figure 19: Bandwidth consumption, by application 24
• Figure 20: Evolution of satellite broadband offering for basic
• Figure 21 : Price change of a broadband satellite reception terminal 25
• Figure 22: Positioning of some satellite broadband offerings in France
(as of February 2013) 26
• Figure 23: In the USA, ViaSat and Hughes tackle 26
• Figure 24: Dishnet satellite triple-play packages being offered by
Dish (based on HughesNet Gen4 service) in the USA 27
• Figure 25: Satellite broadband terminal proposed by Eutelsat with TV
reception capability 27
• Figure 26: Ka-Sat coverage 29
• Figure 27: Selected packages based on Ka-Sat 29
• Figure 28: Evolution of Tooway subscriber base 30
• Figure 29: Evolution of Tooway download speeds 30
• Figure 30: Hybrid vision of SES 31
• Figure 31: Broadband for communities (launched in 2011) 31
• Figure 32: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect subscribers 32
• Figure 33: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect download speeds 32
• Figure 34: Avanti coverage in Europe (Hylas-1 satellite) 33
• Figure 35: Satellite broadband packages distributed by irish distributor,
Qsat (downlink speeds from 4 to 10 Mbps) 33
• Figure 36: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Europe, 2013-2017 35
• Figure 37: Literacy rates in Africa 37
• Figure 38: PC penetration in Africa 37
• Figure 39: Evolution of submarine cable deployments in Africa 38
• Figure 40: Map of terrestrial fibre backbones in Africa, YE 2012 39
• Figure 41: E1 pricing for a selection of African countries, 2012 39
• Figure 42: Excerpt from Seacom commercial brochure 40• Figure 43: Average evolution of bandwidth prices over 2009-2012 40
• Figure 44: Fixed broadband access penetration in Africa, end 2012 42
• Figure 45: Fixed broadband penetration compared with literacy rate 42
• Figure 46: Price of fixed broadband subscriptions based on per capita
• Figure 47: African mobile penetration, as of YE 2012 44
• Figure 48: Top 5 African mobile markets, at YE 2012 44
• Figure 49: Status of 3G, as of February 2013 45
• Figure 50: Top 5 African 3G markets, at YE 2012 45
• Figure 51: Monthly broadband basket, YE 2011 46
• Figure 52: YahClick coverage 48
• Figure 53: Eutelsat IP Easy coverage 49
• Figure 54: Satellite broadband packages being offered as of year-end
2012 by Get2Net (SES ASTRA2Connect) 49
• Figure 55: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Africa, 2013-2017 51
• Table 1: Basic coverage national objectives, in selected countries 10
• Table 2: Objectives of national broadband plans, in selected
• Table 3: Electrification rates in Africa 37
• Table 4: Selection of mobile broadband basket (prepaid handsetbased), YE 2011 46
• Table 5: Array of speeds offered by Vox Telecom in South Africa and
Coolink in Nigeria (as of February 2013) 488
To order this report: Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 24, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 751
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 24, 2016 11:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,032
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 987
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,071
Designing IoT applications is complex, but deploying them in a scalable fashion is even more complex. A scalable, API first IaaS cloud is a good start, but in order to understand the various components specific to deploying IoT applications, one needs to understand the architecture of these applications and figure out how to scale these components independently. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nara Rajagopalan is CEO of Accelerite, will discuss the fundamental architecture of IoT applications, ...
May. 24, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 715
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York and Silicon Valley. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place Nov 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 17th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty ...
May. 24, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,649
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit y...
May. 24, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,842
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will discuss the vast to...
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,355
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo New York Call for Papers is now open.
May. 24, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,681
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu, a leading provider of cloud hosting solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to foc...
May. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,078
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 24, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,847
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,058
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 24, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,370
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 24, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,756
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 742
SYS-CON Events announced today that 24Notion has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. 24Notion is full-service global creative digital marketing, technology and lifestyle agency that combines strategic ideas with customized tactical execution. With a broad understand of the art of traditional marketing, new media, communications and social influence, 24Notion uniquely understands how to con...
May. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,685
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 24, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,963
When it comes to IoT in the enterprise, namely the commercial building and hospitality markets, a benefit not getting the attention it deserves is energy efficiency, and IoT's direct impact on a cleaner, greener environment when installed in smart buildings. Until now clean technology was offered piecemeal and led with point solutions that require significant systems integration to orchestrate and deploy. There didn't exist a 'top down' approach that can manage and monitor the way a Smart Buildi...
May. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,054
SYS-CON Events announced today BZ Media LLC has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and Commercial Drone markets.
May. 24, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,389
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 24, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,408