|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 06:06 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets. After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Region: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey - Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
• Part 1
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda
• Part 2
Status of broadband market in Europe
• Part 3
Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe
• Part 4
Status of satellite broadband market in Europe
• Part 5
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 6
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• Part 7
Introduction to Africa
• Part 8
Status of broadband market in Africa
• Part 9
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 10
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets.
• After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda 9
• Digital Agenda objectives are being met for basic broadband 10
• Objectives of national plans diverging from Digital Agenda for
2. Status of broadband market in Europe 12
• DSL network coverage is improving 13
• Rural coverage still needs to progress 14
• As a consequence of the DAE, bitrates are improving
• Competition from mobile networks gathers pace 16
3. Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe 17
• Migration to ultra-fast broadband continues on the fixed
• Adoption among households remains low 19
• LTE is now launched in most European countries 20
• Mobile operators are now tackling the residential fixed market 21
• Towards the era of the Gbps 22
4. Status of satellite broadband market in Europe 23
• Some Figures on satellite broadband consumers 24
• Satellite access solutions are highly competitive 25
• Satellite access solutions are tailored to tackle under-served
terrestrial markets 26
• Full satellite triple-play packages can be proposed 27
• 5. Satellite operator strategies in Europe 28
• Eutelsat 29
• SES 31
• Avanti 33
• 6. IDATE's assessment and market forecasts for Europe 34
• 7. Introduction to Africa 36
• A market with several barriers to entry 37
• The fast deployment of submarine cables is a game changer 38
• On land, fibre backbone networks are also being deployed 39
• Impact of fibre deployment on satellite bandwidth princing 40
• 8. Status of broadband market in Africa 41
• Africa has less than 5% of world users 42
• Fixed broadband prices are unsustainable 43
• Mobile telephony is becoming the entry point for Internet
• Mobile broadband is progressing rapidly 45
• Mobile broadband pricing is decreasing 46
• 9. Satellite operator strategies in Africa 47
• YahSat 48
• SES and Eutelsat 49
• 10. IDATE's assessement and market forecasts for Africa 50
• IDATE's assessement and market forecats up to 2017 51
• Who are we? 52
• Figure 1: Fixed broadband penetration in Europe 10
• Figure 2: Digital agenda objectives 11
• Figure 3: Total DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 13
• Figure 4: Rural DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 14
• Figure 5: Fixed broadband lines by speed, 2008-2012 15
• Figure 6: Fixed broadband lines by speed, January 2012 15
• Figure 7: Total HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 8: Rural HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 9: FTTx network coverage, end-2011 18
• Figure 10: FTTH/B adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 11: Other FTTx technologies adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 12: Timetable for LTE spectrum in Western Europe 20
• Figure 13: Evolution of LTE coverage in Portugal following use of the
800 MHz band 20
• Figure 14: HomeFusion service offered by Verizon Wireless 21
• Figure 15: LTE service for homes offered by TeliaSonera 21
• Figure 16: Evolution of fixed broadband technologies up to 2030 22
• Figure 17: LTE-Advanced performance 22
• Figure 18: Bandwidth consumption, per subscriber 24
• Figure 19: Bandwidth consumption, by application 24
• Figure 20: Evolution of satellite broadband offering for basic
• Figure 21 : Price change of a broadband satellite reception terminal 25
• Figure 22: Positioning of some satellite broadband offerings in France
(as of February 2013) 26
• Figure 23: In the USA, ViaSat and Hughes tackle 26
• Figure 24: Dishnet satellite triple-play packages being offered by
Dish (based on HughesNet Gen4 service) in the USA 27
• Figure 25: Satellite broadband terminal proposed by Eutelsat with TV
reception capability 27
• Figure 26: Ka-Sat coverage 29
• Figure 27: Selected packages based on Ka-Sat 29
• Figure 28: Evolution of Tooway subscriber base 30
• Figure 29: Evolution of Tooway download speeds 30
• Figure 30: Hybrid vision of SES 31
• Figure 31: Broadband for communities (launched in 2011) 31
• Figure 32: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect subscribers 32
• Figure 33: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect download speeds 32
• Figure 34: Avanti coverage in Europe (Hylas-1 satellite) 33
• Figure 35: Satellite broadband packages distributed by irish distributor,
Qsat (downlink speeds from 4 to 10 Mbps) 33
• Figure 36: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Europe, 2013-2017 35
• Figure 37: Literacy rates in Africa 37
• Figure 38: PC penetration in Africa 37
• Figure 39: Evolution of submarine cable deployments in Africa 38
• Figure 40: Map of terrestrial fibre backbones in Africa, YE 2012 39
• Figure 41: E1 pricing for a selection of African countries, 2012 39
• Figure 42: Excerpt from Seacom commercial brochure 40• Figure 43: Average evolution of bandwidth prices over 2009-2012 40
• Figure 44: Fixed broadband access penetration in Africa, end 2012 42
• Figure 45: Fixed broadband penetration compared with literacy rate 42
• Figure 46: Price of fixed broadband subscriptions based on per capita
• Figure 47: African mobile penetration, as of YE 2012 44
• Figure 48: Top 5 African mobile markets, at YE 2012 44
• Figure 49: Status of 3G, as of February 2013 45
• Figure 50: Top 5 African 3G markets, at YE 2012 45
• Figure 51: Monthly broadband basket, YE 2011 46
• Figure 52: YahClick coverage 48
• Figure 53: Eutelsat IP Easy coverage 49
• Figure 54: Satellite broadband packages being offered as of year-end
2012 by Get2Net (SES ASTRA2Connect) 49
• Figure 55: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Africa, 2013-2017 51
• Table 1: Basic coverage national objectives, in selected countries 10
• Table 2: Objectives of national broadband plans, in selected
• Table 3: Electrification rates in Africa 37
• Table 4: Selection of mobile broadband basket (prepaid handsetbased), YE 2011 46
• Table 5: Array of speeds offered by Vox Telecom in South Africa and
Coolink in Nigeria (as of February 2013) 488
To order this report: Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,395
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,008
BroadSoft on Tuesday announced that it is a recipient of the 2014 Frost & Sullivan Market Leadership Award in the Hosted/Cloud Internet Protocol (IP) Telephony market for Latin America. According to Frost & Sullivan market research, the Latin America (LATAM) hosted/cloud Internet Protocol (IP) telephony market, including integrated unified communications and collaboration (UC&C) applications, is currently experiencing a rapid growth trajectory and is expected to exhibit a tenfold rise in annual revenues in the 2013-2020 period. With more than 600 cloud deployments internationally, BroadSoft w...
Apr. 21, 2015 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,061
In 2015, 4.9 billion connected "things" will be in use. By 2020, Gartner forecasts this amount to be 25 billion, a 410 percent increase in just five years. How will businesses handle this rapid growth of data? Hadoop will continue to improve its technology to meet business demands, by enabling businesses to access/analyze data in real time, when and where they need it. Cloudera's Chief Technologist, Eli Collins, will discuss how Big Data is keeping up with today's data demands and how in the future, data and analytics will be pervasive, embedded into every workflow, application and infra...
Apr. 20, 2015 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 955
The best mobile applications are augmented by dedicated servers, the Internet and Cloud services. Mobile developers should focus on one thing: writing the next socially disruptive viral app. Thanks to the cloud, they can focus on the overall solution, not the underlying plumbing. From iOS to Android and Windows, developers can leverage cloud services to create a common cross-platform backend to persist user settings, app data, broadcast notifications, run jobs, etc. This session provides a high level technical overview of many cloud services available to mobile app developers, includi...
Apr. 20, 2015 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 621
Participants will reach the final if their IoT solution is liked. A community vote will determine the best solutions submitted in each country, after which an expert jury will select the national winners and the best international IoT solution. Each country's best solution can win a national marketing campaign worth up to €30,000 and become a partner in Deutsche Telekom's participating markets. The winning international solution can become partner of Deutsche Telekom Group across all eight countries and reach out to a potential of 10,8 million business customers. Deutsche Telekom Group has a...
Apr. 20, 2015 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 853
Health care systems across the globe are under enormous strain, as facilities reach capacity and costs continue to rise. M2M and the Internet of Things have the potential to transform the industry through connected health solutions that can make care more efficient while reducing costs. In fact, Vodafone's annual M2M Barometer Report forecasts M2M applications rising to 57 percent in health care and life sciences by 2016. Lively is one of Vodafone's health care partners, whose solutions enable older adults to live independent lives while staying connected to loved ones. M2M will continue to gr...
Apr. 20, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,119
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vicom Computer Services, Inc., a provider of technology and service solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. They are located at booth #427. Vicom Computer Services, Inc. is a progressive leader in the technology industry for over 30 years. Headquartered in the NY Metropolitan area. Vicom provides products and services based on today’s requirements around Unified Networks, Cloud Computing strategies, Virtualization around Software defined Data Ce...
Apr. 20, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,484
Dave will share his insights on how Internet of Things for Enterprises are transforming and making more productive and efficient operations and maintenance (O&M) procedures in the cleantech industry and beyond. Speaker Bio: Dave Landa is chief operating officer of Cybozu Corp (kintone US). Based in the San Francisco Bay Area, Dave has been on the forefront of the Cloud revolution driving strategic business development on the executive teams of multiple leading Software as a Services (SaaS) application providers dating back to 2004. Cybozu's kintone.com is a leading global BYOA (Build Your O...
Apr. 20, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,147
VoxImplant has announced full WebRTC support in the newest versions of its Android SDK and iOS SDK. The updated SDKs, which enable audio and video calls on mobile devices, are now compatible with the WebRTC standard to allow any mobile app to communicate with WebRTC-enabled browsers, including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, and, when available, Microsoft Spartan. The WebRTC-updated SDKs represent VoxImplant's continued leadership in simplifying the development of real-time communications (RTC) services for app developers. VoxImplant (built by Zingaya, the real-time communication servi...
Apr. 20, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,976
What exactly is a cognitive application? In her session at 16th Cloud Expo, Ashley Hathaway, Product Manager at IBM Watson, will look at the services being offered by the IBM Watson Developer Cloud and what that means for developers and Big Data. She'll explore how IBM Watson and its partnerships will continue to grow and help define what it means to be a cognitive service, as well as take a look at the offerings on Bluemix. She will also check out how Watson and the Alchemy API team up to offer disruptive APIs to developers.
Apr. 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,594
The IoT Bootcamp is coming to Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo on June 9-10 at the Javits Center in New York. Instructor. Registration is now available at http://iotbootcamp.sys-con.com/ Instructor Janakiram MSV previously taught the famously successful Multi-Cloud Bootcamp at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo in November in Santa Clara. Now he is expanding the focus to Janakiram is the founder and CTO of Get Cloud Ready Consulting, a niche Cloud Migration and Cloud Operations firm that recently got acquired by Aditi Technologies. He is a Microsoft Regional Director for Hyderabad, India, and one of the f...
Apr. 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,306
The 17th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. 17th International Cloud Expo, to be held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, APM, APIs, Microservices, Security, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal today!
Apr. 20, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,175
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Apr. 20, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,224
With IoT exploding, massive data will transform businesses with opportunities to monetize almost anything that can be measured. In this C-Level Roundtable Discussion at @ThingsExpo, Brendan O’Brien, Aria Systems Co-founder and Chief Evangelist, will lead an expert panel of consultants, thought leaders and practitioners who will look at these new monetization trends, discuss the implications, and detail lessons learned from their collective experience. Finally, the panel will point the way forward for enterprises who wish to leverage the resulting complex recurring revenue models, adding valu...
Apr. 20, 2015 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,521
The WebRTC Summit 2015 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Apr. 20, 2015 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,315
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Apr. 20, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,936
From telemedicine to smart cars, digital homes and industrial monitoring, the explosive growth of IoT has created exciting new business opportunities for real time calls and messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ivelin Ivanov, CEO and Co-Founder of Telestax, shared some of the new revenue sources that IoT created for Restcomm – the open source telephony platform from Telestax. Ivelin Ivanov is a technology entrepreneur who founded Mobicents, an Open Source VoIP Platform, to help create, deploy, and manage applications integrating voice, video and data. He is the co-founder of TeleStax, a...
Apr. 20, 2015 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,708
As enterprises move to all-IP networks and cloud-based applications, communications service providers (CSPs) – facing increased competition from over-the-top providers delivering content via the Internet and independently of CSPs – must be able to offer seamless cloud-based communication and collaboration solutions that can scale for small, midsize, and large enterprises, as well as public sector organizations, in order to keep and grow market share. The latest version of Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite gives CSPs the capability to do just that. In addition, its integration ...
Apr. 20, 2015 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,038
Can call centers hang up the phones for good? Intuitive Solutions did. WebRTC enabled this contact center provider to eliminate antiquated telephony and desktop phone infrastructure with a pure web-based solution, allowing them to expand beyond brick-and-mortar confines to a home-based agent model. It also ensured scalability and better service for customers, including MUY! Companies, one of the country's largest franchise restaurant companies with 232 Pizza Hut locations. This is one example of WebRTC adoption today, but the potential is limitless when powered by IoT.
Apr. 20, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 5,033