|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 06:06 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets. After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Region: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey - Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
• Part 1
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda
• Part 2
Status of broadband market in Europe
• Part 3
Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe
• Part 4
Status of satellite broadband market in Europe
• Part 5
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 6
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• Part 7
Introduction to Africa
• Part 8
Status of broadband market in Africa
• Part 9
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 10
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets.
• After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda 9
• Digital Agenda objectives are being met for basic broadband 10
• Objectives of national plans diverging from Digital Agenda for
2. Status of broadband market in Europe 12
• DSL network coverage is improving 13
• Rural coverage still needs to progress 14
• As a consequence of the DAE, bitrates are improving
• Competition from mobile networks gathers pace 16
3. Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe 17
• Migration to ultra-fast broadband continues on the fixed
• Adoption among households remains low 19
• LTE is now launched in most European countries 20
• Mobile operators are now tackling the residential fixed market 21
• Towards the era of the Gbps 22
4. Status of satellite broadband market in Europe 23
• Some Figures on satellite broadband consumers 24
• Satellite access solutions are highly competitive 25
• Satellite access solutions are tailored to tackle under-served
terrestrial markets 26
• Full satellite triple-play packages can be proposed 27
• 5. Satellite operator strategies in Europe 28
• Eutelsat 29
• SES 31
• Avanti 33
• 6. IDATE's assessment and market forecasts for Europe 34
• 7. Introduction to Africa 36
• A market with several barriers to entry 37
• The fast deployment of submarine cables is a game changer 38
• On land, fibre backbone networks are also being deployed 39
• Impact of fibre deployment on satellite bandwidth princing 40
• 8. Status of broadband market in Africa 41
• Africa has less than 5% of world users 42
• Fixed broadband prices are unsustainable 43
• Mobile telephony is becoming the entry point for Internet
• Mobile broadband is progressing rapidly 45
• Mobile broadband pricing is decreasing 46
• 9. Satellite operator strategies in Africa 47
• YahSat 48
• SES and Eutelsat 49
• 10. IDATE's assessement and market forecasts for Africa 50
• IDATE's assessement and market forecats up to 2017 51
• Who are we? 52
• Figure 1: Fixed broadband penetration in Europe 10
• Figure 2: Digital agenda objectives 11
• Figure 3: Total DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 13
• Figure 4: Rural DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 14
• Figure 5: Fixed broadband lines by speed, 2008-2012 15
• Figure 6: Fixed broadband lines by speed, January 2012 15
• Figure 7: Total HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 8: Rural HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 9: FTTx network coverage, end-2011 18
• Figure 10: FTTH/B adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 11: Other FTTx technologies adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 12: Timetable for LTE spectrum in Western Europe 20
• Figure 13: Evolution of LTE coverage in Portugal following use of the
800 MHz band 20
• Figure 14: HomeFusion service offered by Verizon Wireless 21
• Figure 15: LTE service for homes offered by TeliaSonera 21
• Figure 16: Evolution of fixed broadband technologies up to 2030 22
• Figure 17: LTE-Advanced performance 22
• Figure 18: Bandwidth consumption, per subscriber 24
• Figure 19: Bandwidth consumption, by application 24
• Figure 20: Evolution of satellite broadband offering for basic
• Figure 21 : Price change of a broadband satellite reception terminal 25
• Figure 22: Positioning of some satellite broadband offerings in France
(as of February 2013) 26
• Figure 23: In the USA, ViaSat and Hughes tackle 26
• Figure 24: Dishnet satellite triple-play packages being offered by
Dish (based on HughesNet Gen4 service) in the USA 27
• Figure 25: Satellite broadband terminal proposed by Eutelsat with TV
reception capability 27
• Figure 26: Ka-Sat coverage 29
• Figure 27: Selected packages based on Ka-Sat 29
• Figure 28: Evolution of Tooway subscriber base 30
• Figure 29: Evolution of Tooway download speeds 30
• Figure 30: Hybrid vision of SES 31
• Figure 31: Broadband for communities (launched in 2011) 31
• Figure 32: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect subscribers 32
• Figure 33: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect download speeds 32
• Figure 34: Avanti coverage in Europe (Hylas-1 satellite) 33
• Figure 35: Satellite broadband packages distributed by irish distributor,
Qsat (downlink speeds from 4 to 10 Mbps) 33
• Figure 36: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Europe, 2013-2017 35
• Figure 37: Literacy rates in Africa 37
• Figure 38: PC penetration in Africa 37
• Figure 39: Evolution of submarine cable deployments in Africa 38
• Figure 40: Map of terrestrial fibre backbones in Africa, YE 2012 39
• Figure 41: E1 pricing for a selection of African countries, 2012 39
• Figure 42: Excerpt from Seacom commercial brochure 40• Figure 43: Average evolution of bandwidth prices over 2009-2012 40
• Figure 44: Fixed broadband access penetration in Africa, end 2012 42
• Figure 45: Fixed broadband penetration compared with literacy rate 42
• Figure 46: Price of fixed broadband subscriptions based on per capita
• Figure 47: African mobile penetration, as of YE 2012 44
• Figure 48: Top 5 African mobile markets, at YE 2012 44
• Figure 49: Status of 3G, as of February 2013 45
• Figure 50: Top 5 African 3G markets, at YE 2012 45
• Figure 51: Monthly broadband basket, YE 2011 46
• Figure 52: YahClick coverage 48
• Figure 53: Eutelsat IP Easy coverage 49
• Figure 54: Satellite broadband packages being offered as of year-end
2012 by Get2Net (SES ASTRA2Connect) 49
• Figure 55: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Africa, 2013-2017 51
• Table 1: Basic coverage national objectives, in selected countries 10
• Table 2: Objectives of national broadband plans, in selected
• Table 3: Electrification rates in Africa 37
• Table 4: Selection of mobile broadband basket (prepaid handsetbased), YE 2011 46
• Table 5: Array of speeds offered by Vox Telecom in South Africa and
Coolink in Nigeria (as of February 2013) 488
To order this report: Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 25, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,369
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,536
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,102
OnProcess Technology has announced it will be a featured speaker at @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1 - 3, 2016, in Santa Clara, California. Dan Gettens, OnProcess’ Chief Analytics Officer, will discuss how Internet of Things (IoT) data can be leveraged to predict product failures, improve uptime and slash costly inventory stock. @ThingsExpo is an annual gathering of IoT and cloud developers, practitioners and thought-leaders who exchange ideas and insights on topics ranging from Big Data in...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 279
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,022
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudbric, a leading website security provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Cloudbric is an elite full service website protection solution specifically designed for IT novices, entrepreneurs, and small and medium businesses. First launched in 2015, Cloudbric is based on the enterprise level Web Application Firewall by Penta Security Sys...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that Transparent Cloud Computing (T-Cloud) Consortium will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. The Transparent Cloud Computing Consortium (T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data proces...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,437
SYS-CON Events announced today that Roundee / LinearHub will exhibit at the WebRTC Summit at @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LinearHub provides Roundee Service, a smart platform for enterprise video conferencing with enhanced features such as automatic recording and transcription service. Slack users can integrate Roundee to their team via Slack’s App Directory, and '/roundee' command lets your video conference ...
Oct. 25, 2016 06:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,140
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,443
SYS-CON Events announced today that Coalfire will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Coalfire is the trusted leader in cybersecurity risk management and compliance services. Coalfire integrates advisory and technical assessments and recommendations to the corporate directors, executives, boards, and IT organizations for global brands and organizations in the technology, cloud, health...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,614
As ridesharing competitors and enhanced services increase, notable changes are occurring in the transportation model. Despite the cost-effective means and flexibility of ridesharing, both drivers and users will need to be aware of the connected environment and how it will impact the ridesharing experience. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Timothy Evavold, Executive Director Automotive at Covisint, will discuss key challenges and solutions to powering a ride sharing and/or multimodal model in the a...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,553
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, will discuss how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team a...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 427
A completely new computing platform is on the horizon. They’re called Microservers by some, ARM Servers by others, and sometimes even ARM-based Servers. No matter what you call them, Microservers will have a huge impact on the data center and on server computing in general. Although few people are familiar with Microservers today, their impact will be felt very soon. This is a new category of computing platform that is available today and is predicted to have triple-digit growth rates for some ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 34,207
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,024
The Internet of Things (IoT), in all its myriad manifestations, has great potential. Much of that potential comes from the evolving data management and analytic (DMA) technologies and processes that allow us to gain insight from all of the IoT data that can be generated and gathered. This potential may never be met as those data sets are tied to specific industry verticals and single markets, with no clear way to use IoT data and sensor analytics to fulfill the hype being given the IoT today.
Oct. 25, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,679
SYS-CON Events announced today that Numerex Corp, a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT), will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Numerex Corp. (NASDAQ:NMRX) is a leading provider of managed enterprise solutions enabling the Internet of Things (IoT). The Company's solutions produce new revenue streams or create operating...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,706
SYS-CON Events announced today that MathFreeOn will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MathFreeOn is Software as a Service (SaaS) used in Engineering and Math education. Write scripts and solve math problems online. MathFreeOn provides online courses for beginners or amateurs who have difficulties in writing scripts. In accordance with various mathematical topics, there are more tha...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,070
The best way to leverage your Cloud Expo presence as a sponsor and exhibitor is to plan your news announcements around our events. The press covering Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo will have access to these releases and will amplify your news announcements. More than two dozen Cloud companies either set deals at our shows or have announced their mergers and acquisitions at Cloud Expo. Product announcements during our show provide your company with the most reach through our targeted audiences.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,961
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential Internet of Things Brand by Onalytica in the ‘The Internet of Things Landscape 2015: Top 100 Individuals and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed Twitter conversations around the #IoT debate to uncover the most influential brands and individuals driving the conversation. Onalytica captured data from 56,224 users. The PageRank based methodology they use to extract influencers on a particular topic (tweets mentioning #InternetofThings or #IoT in this ...
Oct. 25, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 8,498
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Oct. 25, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,831