|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 06:06 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets. After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Region: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey - Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
• Part 1
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda
• Part 2
Status of broadband market in Europe
• Part 3
Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe
• Part 4
Status of satellite broadband market in Europe
• Part 5
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 6
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• Part 7
Introduction to Africa
• Part 8
Status of broadband market in Africa
• Part 9
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 10
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets.
• After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda 9
• Digital Agenda objectives are being met for basic broadband 10
• Objectives of national plans diverging from Digital Agenda for
2. Status of broadband market in Europe 12
• DSL network coverage is improving 13
• Rural coverage still needs to progress 14
• As a consequence of the DAE, bitrates are improving
• Competition from mobile networks gathers pace 16
3. Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe 17
• Migration to ultra-fast broadband continues on the fixed
• Adoption among households remains low 19
• LTE is now launched in most European countries 20
• Mobile operators are now tackling the residential fixed market 21
• Towards the era of the Gbps 22
4. Status of satellite broadband market in Europe 23
• Some Figures on satellite broadband consumers 24
• Satellite access solutions are highly competitive 25
• Satellite access solutions are tailored to tackle under-served
terrestrial markets 26
• Full satellite triple-play packages can be proposed 27
• 5. Satellite operator strategies in Europe 28
• Eutelsat 29
• SES 31
• Avanti 33
• 6. IDATE's assessment and market forecasts for Europe 34
• 7. Introduction to Africa 36
• A market with several barriers to entry 37
• The fast deployment of submarine cables is a game changer 38
• On land, fibre backbone networks are also being deployed 39
• Impact of fibre deployment on satellite bandwidth princing 40
• 8. Status of broadband market in Africa 41
• Africa has less than 5% of world users 42
• Fixed broadband prices are unsustainable 43
• Mobile telephony is becoming the entry point for Internet
• Mobile broadband is progressing rapidly 45
• Mobile broadband pricing is decreasing 46
• 9. Satellite operator strategies in Africa 47
• YahSat 48
• SES and Eutelsat 49
• 10. IDATE's assessement and market forecasts for Africa 50
• IDATE's assessement and market forecats up to 2017 51
• Who are we? 52
• Figure 1: Fixed broadband penetration in Europe 10
• Figure 2: Digital agenda objectives 11
• Figure 3: Total DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 13
• Figure 4: Rural DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 14
• Figure 5: Fixed broadband lines by speed, 2008-2012 15
• Figure 6: Fixed broadband lines by speed, January 2012 15
• Figure 7: Total HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 8: Rural HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 9: FTTx network coverage, end-2011 18
• Figure 10: FTTH/B adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 11: Other FTTx technologies adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 12: Timetable for LTE spectrum in Western Europe 20
• Figure 13: Evolution of LTE coverage in Portugal following use of the
800 MHz band 20
• Figure 14: HomeFusion service offered by Verizon Wireless 21
• Figure 15: LTE service for homes offered by TeliaSonera 21
• Figure 16: Evolution of fixed broadband technologies up to 2030 22
• Figure 17: LTE-Advanced performance 22
• Figure 18: Bandwidth consumption, per subscriber 24
• Figure 19: Bandwidth consumption, by application 24
• Figure 20: Evolution of satellite broadband offering for basic
• Figure 21 : Price change of a broadband satellite reception terminal 25
• Figure 22: Positioning of some satellite broadband offerings in France
(as of February 2013) 26
• Figure 23: In the USA, ViaSat and Hughes tackle 26
• Figure 24: Dishnet satellite triple-play packages being offered by
Dish (based on HughesNet Gen4 service) in the USA 27
• Figure 25: Satellite broadband terminal proposed by Eutelsat with TV
reception capability 27
• Figure 26: Ka-Sat coverage 29
• Figure 27: Selected packages based on Ka-Sat 29
• Figure 28: Evolution of Tooway subscriber base 30
• Figure 29: Evolution of Tooway download speeds 30
• Figure 30: Hybrid vision of SES 31
• Figure 31: Broadband for communities (launched in 2011) 31
• Figure 32: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect subscribers 32
• Figure 33: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect download speeds 32
• Figure 34: Avanti coverage in Europe (Hylas-1 satellite) 33
• Figure 35: Satellite broadband packages distributed by irish distributor,
Qsat (downlink speeds from 4 to 10 Mbps) 33
• Figure 36: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Europe, 2013-2017 35
• Figure 37: Literacy rates in Africa 37
• Figure 38: PC penetration in Africa 37
• Figure 39: Evolution of submarine cable deployments in Africa 38
• Figure 40: Map of terrestrial fibre backbones in Africa, YE 2012 39
• Figure 41: E1 pricing for a selection of African countries, 2012 39
• Figure 42: Excerpt from Seacom commercial brochure 40• Figure 43: Average evolution of bandwidth prices over 2009-2012 40
• Figure 44: Fixed broadband access penetration in Africa, end 2012 42
• Figure 45: Fixed broadband penetration compared with literacy rate 42
• Figure 46: Price of fixed broadband subscriptions based on per capita
• Figure 47: African mobile penetration, as of YE 2012 44
• Figure 48: Top 5 African mobile markets, at YE 2012 44
• Figure 49: Status of 3G, as of February 2013 45
• Figure 50: Top 5 African 3G markets, at YE 2012 45
• Figure 51: Monthly broadband basket, YE 2011 46
• Figure 52: YahClick coverage 48
• Figure 53: Eutelsat IP Easy coverage 49
• Figure 54: Satellite broadband packages being offered as of year-end
2012 by Get2Net (SES ASTRA2Connect) 49
• Figure 55: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Africa, 2013-2017 51
• Table 1: Basic coverage national objectives, in selected countries 10
• Table 2: Objectives of national broadband plans, in selected
• Table 3: Electrification rates in Africa 37
• Table 4: Selection of mobile broadband basket (prepaid handsetbased), YE 2011 46
• Table 5: Array of speeds offered by Vox Telecom in South Africa and
Coolink in Nigeria (as of February 2013) 488
To order this report: Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
SYS-CON Events announced today that SOA Software, an API management leader, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SOA Software is a leading provider of API Management and SOA Governance products that equip business to deliver APIs and SOA together to drive their company to meet its business strategy quickly and effectively. SOA Software’s technology helps businesses to accelerate their digital channels with APIs, drive partner adoption, monetize their assets, and achieve a...
Oct. 31, 2014 07:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,114
SYS-CON Events announced today that Aria Systems, the recurring revenue expert, has been named "Bronze Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Aria Systems helps leading businesses connect their customers with the products and services they love. Industry leaders like Pitney Bowes, Experian, AAA NCNU, VMware, HootSuite and many others choose Aria to power their recurring revenue business and deliver exceptional experiences to their customers.
Oct. 31, 2014 06:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,187
SYS-CON Events announced today that AgilePoint, the leading provider of Microsoft-centric Business Process Management software, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 2nd International @ThingsExpo which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. AgilePoint is the leading provider of Microsoft-based Business Process Management (BPM) software products, has 1,300+ on-premise and cloud deployments in 25+ countries and provides the same advanced BPM feature set as J2EE vendors like IBM and Appian for the Microsoft .NET native environment. AgilePoint customer...
Oct. 31, 2014 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,300
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., will show what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He will discuss opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and tec...
Oct. 31, 2014 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,617
SYS-CON Events announced today that Utimaco will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Utimaco is a leading manufacturer of hardware based security solutions that provide the root of trust to keep cryptographic keys safe, secure critical digital infrastructures and protect high value data assets. Only Utimaco delivers a general-purpose hardware security module (HSM) as a customizable platform to easily integrate into existing software solutions, embed business logic and build s...
Oct. 31, 2014 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,971
One of the biggest challenges when developing connected devices is identifying user value and delivering it through successful user experiences. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Mike Kuniavsky, Principal Scientist, Innovation Services at PARC, will describe an IoT-specific approach to user experience design that combines approaches from interaction design, industrial design and service design to create experiences that go beyond simple connected gadgets to create lasting, multi-device experiences grounded in people’s real needs and desires.
Oct. 31, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,837
Samsung VP Jacopo Lenzi, who headed the company's recent SmartThings acquisition under the auspices of Samsung's Open Innovaction Center (OIC), answered a few questions we had about the deal. This interview was in conjunction with our interview with SmartThings CEO Alex Hawkinson. IoT Journal: SmartThings was developed in an open, standards-agnostic platform, and will now be part of Samsung's Open Innovation Center. Can you elaborate on your commitment to keep the platform open? Jacopo Lenzi: Samsung recognizes that true, accelerated innovation cannot be driven from one source, but requires a...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,390
The Internet of Things will greatly expand the opportunities for data collection and new business models driven off of that data. In her session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, will discuss how for this to be effective you not only need to have infrastructure and operational models capable of utilizing this new phenomenon, but increasingly service providers will need to convince a skeptical public to participate. Get ready to show them the money! Speaker Bio: Esmeralda Swartz, CMO of MetraTech, has spent 16 years as a marketing, product management, and busin...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,346
SYS-CON Events announced today that TeleStax, the main sponsor of Mobicents, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TeleStax provides Open Source Communications software and services that facilitate the shift from legacy SS7 based IN networks to IP based LTE and IMS networks hosted on private (on-premise), hybrid or public clouds. TeleStax products include Restcomm, JSLEE, SMSC Gateway, USSD Gateway, SS7 Resource Adaptors, SIP Servlets, Rich Multimedia Services, Presence Services/RCS, Diame...
Oct. 31, 2014 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,710
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, will address the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. How important are public, private, and hybrid cloud to the enterprise? How does one define Big Data? And how is the IoT tying all this together?
Oct. 31, 2014 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,008
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Oct. 31, 2014 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,675
The only place to be June 9-11 is Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo 2015 East at the Javits Center in New York City. Join us there as delegates from all over the world come to listen to and engage with speakers & sponsors from the leading Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data companies. Cloud Expo & @ThingsExpo are the leading events covering the booming market of Cloud Computing, IoT & Big Data for the enterprise. Speakers from all over the world will be hand-picked for their ability to explore the economic strategies that utility/cloud computing provides. Whether public, private, or in a hybrid form, clo...
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,480
SYS-CON Events announces a new pavilion on the Cloud Expo floor where WebRTC converges with the Internet of Things. Pavilion will showcase WebRTC and the Internet of Things. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices--computers, smartphones, tablets, and sensors – connected to the Internet by 2020. This number will continue to grow at a rapid pace for the next several decades.
Oct. 30, 2014 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,224
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in software-defined storage (SDS) purpose-built for Windows Servers and Hyper-V, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 15th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Gridstore™ is the leader in software-defined storage purpose built for virtualization that is designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Using its patented Server-Side Virtual Controller™ Technology (SVCT) to eliminate the I/O blender effect and accelerate applications Gridsto...
Oct. 30, 2014 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,619
SYS-CON Events announced today that Red Hat, the world's leading provider of open source solutions, will exhibit at Internet of @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Red Hat is the world's leading provider of open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to reliable and high-performing cloud, Linux, middleware, storage and virtualization technologies. Red Hat also offers award-winning support, training, and consulting services. As the connective hub in a global network of enterprises, partners, a...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,089
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP’s Printing and Personal Systems Group, will discuss how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, senso...
Oct. 30, 2014 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,782
The Internet of Things (IoT) is making everything it touches smarter – smart devices, smart cars and smart cities. And lucky us, we’re just beginning to reap the benefits as we work toward a networked society. However, this technology-driven innovation is impacting more than just individuals. The IoT has an environmental impact as well, which brings us to the theme of this month’s #IoTuesday Twitter chat. The ability to remove inefficiencies through connected objects is driving change throughout every sector, including waste management. BigBelly Solar, located just outside of Boston, is trans...
Oct. 30, 2014 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,205
Connected devices and the Internet of Things are getting significant momentum in 2014. In his session at Internet of @ThingsExpo, Jim Hunter, Chief Scientist & Technology Evangelist at Greenwave Systems, will examine three key elements that together will drive mass adoption of the IoT before the end of 2015. The first element is the recent advent of robust open source protocols (like AllJoyn and WebRTC) that facilitate M2M communication. The second is broad availability of flexible, cost-effective storage designed to handle the massive surge in back-end data in a world where timely analytics...
Oct. 30, 2014 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,643
Internet of @ThingsExpo Silicon Valley announced on Thursday its first 12 all-star speakers and sessions for its upcoming event, which will take place November 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in California. @ThingsExpo, the first and largest IoT event in the world, debuted at the Javits Center in New York City in June 10-12, 2014 with over 6,000 delegates attending the conference. Among the first 12 announced world class speakers, IBM will present two highly popular IoT sessions, which will take place November 4-6, 2014 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, Calif...
Oct. 30, 2014 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,315
From a software development perspective IoT is about programming "things," about connecting them with each other or integrating them with existing applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Yakov Fain, co-founder of Farata Systems and SuranceBay, will show you how small IoT-enabled devices from multiple manufacturers can be integrated into the workflow of an enterprise application. This is a practical demo of building a framework and components in HTML/Java/Mobile technologies to serve as a platform that can integrate new devices as they become available on the market.
Oct. 29, 2014 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,088