|By PR Newswire||
|February 10, 2014 06:06 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Feb. 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue:
Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets. After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Region: Europe: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Eastern Europe, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey - Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Rep., Chad, Congo, Dem. Rep., Congo, Rep., Côte d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eriteria, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
• Part 1
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda
• Part 2
Status of broadband market in Europe
• Part 3
Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe
• Part 4
Status of satellite broadband market in Europe
• Part 5
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 6
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• Part 7
Introduction to Africa
• Part 8
Status of broadband market in Africa
• Part 9
Satellite operator strategies
• Part 10
IDATE's assessment and market forecasts up to 2017
• In this report, IDATE identifies the latest developments and major trends in the broadband and ultra-fast broadband markets.
• After a detailed analysis of the various terrestrial networks and their coverage, it examines satellite technology and the opportunities for positioning it as a complementary service to terrestrial networks to reduce the digital divides that currently exist in Europe and Africa.
Recalling the objectives of the Digital Agenda 9
• Digital Agenda objectives are being met for basic broadband 10
• Objectives of national plans diverging from Digital Agenda for
2. Status of broadband market in Europe 12
• DSL network coverage is improving 13
• Rural coverage still needs to progress 14
• As a consequence of the DAE, bitrates are improving
• Competition from mobile networks gathers pace 16
3. Status of ultra-broadband market in Europe 17
• Migration to ultra-fast broadband continues on the fixed
• Adoption among households remains low 19
• LTE is now launched in most European countries 20
• Mobile operators are now tackling the residential fixed market 21
• Towards the era of the Gbps 22
4. Status of satellite broadband market in Europe 23
• Some Figures on satellite broadband consumers 24
• Satellite access solutions are highly competitive 25
• Satellite access solutions are tailored to tackle under-served
terrestrial markets 26
• Full satellite triple-play packages can be proposed 27
• 5. Satellite operator strategies in Europe 28
• Eutelsat 29
• SES 31
• Avanti 33
• 6. IDATE's assessment and market forecasts for Europe 34
• 7. Introduction to Africa 36
• A market with several barriers to entry 37
• The fast deployment of submarine cables is a game changer 38
• On land, fibre backbone networks are also being deployed 39
• Impact of fibre deployment on satellite bandwidth princing 40
• 8. Status of broadband market in Africa 41
• Africa has less than 5% of world users 42
• Fixed broadband prices are unsustainable 43
• Mobile telephony is becoming the entry point for Internet
• Mobile broadband is progressing rapidly 45
• Mobile broadband pricing is decreasing 46
• 9. Satellite operator strategies in Africa 47
• YahSat 48
• SES and Eutelsat 49
• 10. IDATE's assessement and market forecasts for Africa 50
• IDATE's assessement and market forecats up to 2017 51
• Who are we? 52
• Figure 1: Fixed broadband penetration in Europe 10
• Figure 2: Digital agenda objectives 11
• Figure 3: Total DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 13
• Figure 4: Rural DSL network coverage in Europe, end-2011
(% of population) 14
• Figure 5: Fixed broadband lines by speed, 2008-2012 15
• Figure 6: Fixed broadband lines by speed, January 2012 15
• Figure 7: Total HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 8: Rural HSPA coverage in Europe, end of 2011 16
• Figure 9: FTTx network coverage, end-2011 18
• Figure 10: FTTH/B adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 11: Other FTTx technologies adoption, YE 2012 19
• Figure 12: Timetable for LTE spectrum in Western Europe 20
• Figure 13: Evolution of LTE coverage in Portugal following use of the
800 MHz band 20
• Figure 14: HomeFusion service offered by Verizon Wireless 21
• Figure 15: LTE service for homes offered by TeliaSonera 21
• Figure 16: Evolution of fixed broadband technologies up to 2030 22
• Figure 17: LTE-Advanced performance 22
• Figure 18: Bandwidth consumption, per subscriber 24
• Figure 19: Bandwidth consumption, by application 24
• Figure 20: Evolution of satellite broadband offering for basic
• Figure 21 : Price change of a broadband satellite reception terminal 25
• Figure 22: Positioning of some satellite broadband offerings in France
(as of February 2013) 26
• Figure 23: In the USA, ViaSat and Hughes tackle 26
• Figure 24: Dishnet satellite triple-play packages being offered by
Dish (based on HughesNet Gen4 service) in the USA 27
• Figure 25: Satellite broadband terminal proposed by Eutelsat with TV
reception capability 27
• Figure 26: Ka-Sat coverage 29
• Figure 27: Selected packages based on Ka-Sat 29
• Figure 28: Evolution of Tooway subscriber base 30
• Figure 29: Evolution of Tooway download speeds 30
• Figure 30: Hybrid vision of SES 31
• Figure 31: Broadband for communities (launched in 2011) 31
• Figure 32: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect subscribers 32
• Figure 33: Evolution of ASTRA2Connect download speeds 32
• Figure 34: Avanti coverage in Europe (Hylas-1 satellite) 33
• Figure 35: Satellite broadband packages distributed by irish distributor,
Qsat (downlink speeds from 4 to 10 Mbps) 33
• Figure 36: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Europe, 2013-2017 35
• Figure 37: Literacy rates in Africa 37
• Figure 38: PC penetration in Africa 37
• Figure 39: Evolution of submarine cable deployments in Africa 38
• Figure 40: Map of terrestrial fibre backbones in Africa, YE 2012 39
• Figure 41: E1 pricing for a selection of African countries, 2012 39
• Figure 42: Excerpt from Seacom commercial brochure 40• Figure 43: Average evolution of bandwidth prices over 2009-2012 40
• Figure 44: Fixed broadband access penetration in Africa, end 2012 42
• Figure 45: Fixed broadband penetration compared with literacy rate 42
• Figure 46: Price of fixed broadband subscriptions based on per capita
• Figure 47: African mobile penetration, as of YE 2012 44
• Figure 48: Top 5 African mobile markets, at YE 2012 44
• Figure 49: Status of 3G, as of February 2013 45
• Figure 50: Top 5 African 3G markets, at YE 2012 45
• Figure 51: Monthly broadband basket, YE 2011 46
• Figure 52: YahClick coverage 48
• Figure 53: Eutelsat IP Easy coverage 49
• Figure 54: Satellite broadband packages being offered as of year-end
2012 by Get2Net (SES ASTRA2Connect) 49
• Figure 55: Forecast of residential subscriptions to a two-way ultrabroadband satellite solution in Africa, 2013-2017 51
• Table 1: Basic coverage national objectives, in selected countries 10
• Table 2: Objectives of national broadband plans, in selected
• Table 3: Electrification rates in Africa 37
• Table 4: Selection of mobile broadband basket (prepaid handsetbased), YE 2011 46
• Table 5: Array of speeds offered by Vox Telecom in South Africa and
Coolink in Nigeria (as of February 2013) 488
To order this report: Satellite ultra-broadband in Europe & Africa
Contact Clare: [email protected]
Intl: +1 339-368-6001
Too often with compelling new technologies market participants become overly enamored with that attractiveness of the technology and neglect underlying business drivers. This tendency, what some call the “newest shiny object syndrome,” is understandable given that virtually all of us are heavily engaged in technology. But it is also mistaken. Without concrete business cases driving its deployment, IoT, like many other technologies before it, will fade into obscurity.
Aug. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 296
With the proliferation of connected devices underpinning new Internet of Things systems, Brandon Schulz, Director of Luxoft IoT – Retail, will be looking at the transformation of the retail customer experience in brick and mortar stores in his session at @ThingsExpo. Questions he will address include: Will beacons drop to the wayside like QR codes, or be a proximity-based profit driver? How will the customer experience change in stores of all types when everything can be instrumented and analyzed? As an area of investment, how might a retail company move towards an innovation methodolo...
Aug. 28, 2015 05:30 PM EDT Reads: 397
Consumer IoT applications provide data about the user that just doesn’t exist in traditional PC or mobile web applications. This rich data, or “context,” enables the highly personalized consumer experiences that characterize many consumer IoT apps. This same data is also providing brands with unprecedented insight into how their connected products are being used, while, at the same time, powering highly targeted engagement and marketing opportunities. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Nathan Treloar, President and COO of Bebaio, will explore examples of brands transforming their businesses by t...
Aug. 28, 2015 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 167
SYS-CON Events announced today that HPM Networks will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For 20 years, HPM Networks has been integrating technology solutions that solve complex business challenges. HPM Networks has designed solutions for both SMB and enterprise customers throughout the San Francisco Bay Area.
Aug. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 808
As more and more data is generated from a variety of connected devices, the need to get insights from this data and predict future behavior and trends is increasingly essential for businesses. Real-time stream processing is needed in a variety of different industries such as Manufacturing, Oil and Gas, Automobile, Finance, Online Retail, Smart Grids, and Healthcare. Azure Stream Analytics is a fully managed distributed stream computation service that provides low latency, scalable processing of streaming data in the cloud with an enterprise grade SLA. It features built-in integration with Azur...
Aug. 28, 2015 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 132
A producer of the first smartphones and tablets, presenter Lee M. Williams will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lee Williams, COO of ETwater, will talk about how he is now applying his experience in mobile technology to the design and development of the next generation of Environmental and Sustainability Services at ETwater.
Aug. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT
SYS-CON Events announced today that Micron Technology, Inc., a global leader in advanced semiconductor systems, will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Micron’s broad portfolio of high-performance memory technologies – including DRAM, NAND and NOR Flash – is the basis for solid state drives, modules, multichip packages and other system solutions. Backed by more than 35 years of technology leadership, Micron's memory solutions enable the world's most innovative computing, consumer,...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 144
SYS-CON Events announced today that Pythian, a global IT services company specializing in helping companies leverage disruptive technologies to optimize revenue-generating systems, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 17th Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Founded in 1997, Pythian is a global IT services company that helps companies compete by adopting disruptive technologies such as cloud, Big Data, advanced analytics, and DevOps to advance innovation and increase agility. Specializing in designing, imple...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 186
While many app developers are comfortable building apps for the smartphone, there is a whole new world out there. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Narayan Sainaney, Co-founder and CTO of Mojio, will discuss how the business case for connected car apps is growing and, with open platform companies having already done the heavy lifting, there really is no barrier to entry.
Aug. 28, 2015 11:30 AM EDT
As more intelligent IoT applications shift into gear, they’re merging into the ever-increasing traffic flow of the Internet. It won’t be long before we experience bottlenecks, as IoT traffic peaks during rush hours. Organizations that are unprepared will find themselves by the side of the road unable to cross back into the fast lane. As billions of new devices begin to communicate and exchange data – will your infrastructure be scalable enough to handle this new interconnected world?
Aug. 28, 2015 10:00 AM EDT
WebRTC has had a real tough three or four years, and so have those working with it. Only a few short years ago, the development world were excited about WebRTC and proclaiming how awesome it was. You might have played with the technology a couple of years ago, only to find the extra infrastructure requirements were painful to implement and poorly documented. This probably left a bitter taste in your mouth, especially when things went wrong.
Aug. 28, 2015 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 392
Through WebRTC, audio and video communications are being embedded more easily than ever into applications, helping carriers, enterprises and independent software vendors deliver greater functionality to their end users. With today’s business world increasingly focused on outcomes, users’ growing calls for ease of use, and businesses craving smarter, tighter integration, what’s the next step in delivering a richer, more immersive experience? That richer, more fully integrated experience comes about through a Communications Platform as a Service which allows for messaging, screen sharing, video...
Aug. 28, 2015 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 550
SYS-CON Events announced today that IceWarp will exhibit at the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. IceWarp, the leader of cloud and on-premise messaging, delivers secured email, chat, documents, conferencing and collaboration to today's mobile workforce, all in one unified interface
Aug. 28, 2015 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 347
The Internet of Things (IoT) is about the digitization of physical assets including sensors, devices, machines, gateways, and the network. It creates possibilities for significant value creation and new revenue generating business models via data democratization and ubiquitous analytics across IoT networks. The explosion of data in all forms in IoT requires a more robust and broader lens in order to enable smarter timely actions and better outcomes. Business operations become the key driver of IoT applications and projects. Business operations, IT, and data scientists need advanced analytics t...
Aug. 28, 2015 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 343
Akana has announced the availability of the new Akana Healthcare Solution. The API-driven solution helps healthcare organizations accelerate their transition to being secure, digitally interoperable businesses. It leverages the Health Level Seven International Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (HL7 FHIR) standard to enable broader business use of medical data. Akana developed the Healthcare Solution in response to healthcare businesses that want to increase electronic, multi-device access to health records while reducing operating costs and complying with government regulations.
Aug. 26, 2015 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 103
For IoT to grow as quickly as analyst firms’ project, a lot is going to fall on developers to quickly bring applications to market. But the lack of a standard development platform threatens to slow growth and make application development more time consuming and costly, much like we’ve seen in the mobile space. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Weiner, Product Manager of the Omega DevCloud with KORE Telematics Inc., discussed the evolving requirements for developers as IoT matures and conducted a live demonstration of how quickly application development can happen when the need to comply wit...
Aug. 2, 2015 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 544
The Internet of Everything (IoE) brings together people, process, data and things to make networked connections more relevant and valuable than ever before – transforming information into knowledge and knowledge into wisdom. IoE creates new capabilities, richer experiences, and unprecedented opportunities to improve business and government operations, decision making and mission support capabilities.
Aug. 1, 2015 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 472
Explosive growth in connected devices. Enormous amounts of data for collection and analysis. Critical use of data for split-second decision making and actionable information. All three are factors in making the Internet of Things a reality. Yet, any one factor would have an IT organization pondering its infrastructure strategy. How should your organization enhance its IT framework to enable an Internet of Things implementation? In his session at @ThingsExpo, James Kirkland, Red Hat's Chief Architect for the Internet of Things and Intelligent Systems, described how to revolutionize your archit...
Jul. 30, 2015 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,558
MuleSoft has announced the findings of its 2015 Connectivity Benchmark Report on the adoption and business impact of APIs. The findings suggest traditional businesses are quickly evolving into "composable enterprises" built out of hundreds of connected software services, applications and devices. Most are embracing the Internet of Things (IoT) and microservices technologies like Docker. A majority are integrating wearables, like smart watches, and more than half plan to generate revenue with APIs within the next year.
Jul. 30, 2015 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 274
Growth hacking is common for startups to make unheard-of progress in building their business. Career Hacks can help Geek Girls and those who support them (yes, that's you too, Dad!) to excel in this typically male-dominated world. Get ready to learn the facts: Is there a bias against women in the tech / developer communities? Why are women 50% of the workforce, but hold only 24% of the STEM or IT positions? Some beginnings of what to do about it! In her Opening Keynote at 16th Cloud Expo, Sandy Carter, IBM General Manager Cloud Ecosystem and Developers, and a Social Business Evangelist, d...
Jul. 30, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,218