|By PR Newswire||
|January 10, 2014 04:44 AM EST||
MYSORE, India, January 10, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --
- Q3 revenues grew by 1.7% quarter-on-quarter; 9.9% year-on-year
- Net profit grew by 20.9% quarter-on-quarter; 6.7% year-on-year
Consolidated results under International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) for the quarter ended December 31, 2013
- Revenues were $2,100 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2013
QoQ growth was 1.7%
YoY growth was 9.9%
- Net profit was $463 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2013
QoQ growth was 20.9%*
YoY growth was 6.7%
- Earnings per American Depositary Share (EPADS) was $0.81 for the quarter ended December 31, 2013
QoQ growth was 20.9%*
YoY growth was 6.6%
- Liquid assets including cash and cash equivalents, available-for-sale financial assets, certificates of deposits and government bonds were $4.4 billion as on December 31, 2013 versus $4.3 billion as on September 30, 2013
* including the provision for visa related matters made in quarter ended September 30, 2013
- Infosys and its subsidiaries added 54 clients during the quarter
- Gross addition of 6,682 employees for the quarter by Infosys and its subsidiaries
- 158,404 employees as on December 31, 2013 for Infosys and its subsidiaries
"The year ahead looks exciting for the IT services industry. We believe the global economic environment has improved and our clients are gaining confidence to invest in their strategic initiatives," said S. D. Shibulal, CEO and Managing Director. "We continue to differentiate ourselves to seize growth opportunities. The recent changes in organizational structure will enable us to strengthen client relationships and increase market share."
"During the quarter, we saw early but promising results of our initiatives to increase efficiency in our operations," said Rajiv Bansal, Chief Financial Officer. "We continue to remain focused on making investments necessary to secure and grow our future."
The company's outlook (consolidated) for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, under IFRS is as follows:
- Revenues are expected to grow 11.5%-12.0%
- We have partnered with a leading manufacturer, Diebold, to further its transformation journey and streamline its service, supply chain management, and financial operations processes.
- Our focus on Cloud and Big Data as new growth areas continues to yield results. We have executed more than 200 engagements and have won more than 20 deals this quarter. We have been formally inducted as a member of the steering committee of the global Open Data Center Alliance (ODCA) to help define the next generation of enterprise-ready Cloud and Big Data implementations.
- We are partnering with clients to create innovative solutions around the mobile device. This quarter we started more than 25 engagements across mobile field service, device management and enterprise productivity.
- Our Engineering Services business continues to see strong growth. With over 150 active clients, we had 52 wins this quarter across industries.
- Infosys Edge continues its momentum in the market as we invest in technologies like Social, Mobile, Analytics and Cloud. This quarter we had 14 wins - eight for platforms and six for products. We also launched TradeEdge, an insights-driven sales platform that help brands accurately sense and fulfill consumer demand while significantly improving sales and operational performance.
- Infosys Finacle™ sustained its business momentum in the quarter with eight new wins; 11 banks went live on the platform across India, Africa, Middle East and South East Asia.
- The District of Columbia's new online health insurance marketplace, DC Health Link, designed and implemented by Infosys Public Services Inc, successfully went live on October 1, 2013.
- To keep pace with the business momentum in the region, we expanded our presence in Australia with a new office in Sydney. Infosys BPO opened a new delivery center in Eindhoven, the Netherlands to strengthen its global footprint and reinforce its presence in Europe.
- During the third quarter, Infosys applied for 22 unique patent applications in India and the U.S. With this, we have 533 patent applications undergoing various stages of patent prosecution in India, the U.S. and other jurisdictions. We have been granted 143 patents by the United States Patent and Trademark Office, one patent by Australian Patent Office and three patents by the Luxembourg patent office.
Awards and Recognition
- We have been positioned in the winner's circle in HfS Enterprise Analytics Services Blueprint 2013. The report recognizes Infosys for its significant scale in analytics, execution excellence across service areas, and responsiveness to clients.
- Oracle has awarded us with its 2013 Oracle Excellence Award for 'Specialized Partner of the Year' - North America in the Services Partner of the Year, and Business Intelligence Partner of the Year categories. In addition, we were also awarded 2013 Oracle Excellence Award Honorable Mentions for 'Specialized Partner of the Year' - North America for Communications, Media and Entertainment; Energy & Utilities; and Financial Services. We were also awarded the 2013 APAC Oracle Excellence Award for 'Specialized Partner of the Year' - Industry.
- Avivia Health from Kaiser Permanente, recognized Infosys Public Services as a strategic partner to develop its innovative gamification platform to improve consumer engagement.
- The National Outsourcing Association (NOA) has presented Infosys and British Telecom with the 2013 award for excellence in telecommunication, utilities and hi-tech outsourcing.
- The CEB TowerGroup Mobile Banking Solutions Technology Analysis report and the Core Banking Systems for the Large Bank Market report, both recognized Infosys Finacle™ as a 'Best-in-Class' provider.
- Gartner's International Retail Core Banking report positioned Infosys Finacle™ as a Leader in its Magic Quadrant for International Retail Core Banking* for the seventh time in a row.
*Source: Gartner, Inc., "Magic Quadrant for International Retail Core Banking," Don Free and Ethan Wang, October 8, 2013. Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings.
- Infosys BPO has been positioned in the Leaders category in Everest Group's Procurement Outsourcing (PO) Service Provider Landscape with PEAK Matrix Assessment 2013 report.
- We have won the prestigious Global Most Admired Knowledge Enterprise (MAKE) Award for the ninth time. We have also won the Asian MAKE Award eleven times in a row.
- At Asiamoney's annual Corporate Governance Poll 2013, we were recognized as the Best Overall for Corporate Governance, Responsibilities of Management and the Board of Directors, Disclosure and Transparency, Shareholders' Rights and Equitable Treatment, and Investor Relations.
- We received the 'Platinum' award at 'The Asset' Excellence in Management and Corporate Awards 2013.
- The IR global rankings 2013 ranked us third globally for corporate governance practices and second for IR website in India.
Induction of U.B. Pravin Rao and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw
The Board of Directors appointed Mr. U B Pravin Rao as an Additional and Whole-time Director and Ms. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw as an Additional (Independent) Director.
Mr. Pravin Rao is currently the President of the Company. He is responsible for driving growth and differentiation across a portfolio of businesses. These include Retail, Consumer Packaged Goods and Logistics, Life Sciences, Resources & Utilities, Services, Growth Markets, Cloud & Mobility, and Quality & Productivity. In addition, he is responsible for Global Delivery and Service Innovation. Pravin is also the Director of the Infosys Leadership Institute (ILI) globally. ILI is responsible for the selection, development, research and succession of senior and high-potential leaders. He has over 25 years of experience, working on engagements with clients, primarily in retail and financial services. Since joining Infosys in 1986, he has held a number of senior leadership roles such as Head of Infrastructure Management Services, Delivery Head for Europe, and Head of Retail, Consumer Packaged Goods, Logistics and Life Sciences. Pravin holds a degree in electrical engineering from Bangalore University, India.
Ms. Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is the Chairman & Managing Director of Biocon Limited a biotechnology company based in Bangalore, India. Kiran is highly respected in the corporate world and has been named among TIME magazine's 100 most influential people in the world. Recently, Economic Times placed her at India Inc's top 10 most powerful women CEO for the year 2012. Her pioneering efforts in biotechnology have drawn global recognition both for Indian Industry and Biocon. She received a graduate honors degree in Zoology from Bangalore University (1973) and qualified as a Master Brewer from Ballarat University, Australia (1975). Kiran has also received many honorary Doctorates in recognition of her pre-eminent contributions to the field of biotechnology.
Retirement of David Boyles
In accordance with the retirement policy for the company's Board of Directors (attainment of 65 years of age for Independent Directors appointed to the Infosys Board prior to October 15, 2010), David L. Boyles, Independent Director, will retire from the Board effective January 17, 2014. David L. Boyles joined the Infosys Board in July 2005.
N. R. Narayana Murthy, Executive Chairman of the Board, said, "David has played an important role on the Board. His insights on Risk Management have benefitted the Company immensely and have helped us strengthen our approach to Risk Management. We thank David for his contribution to the Board and in particular to the Risk Management Committee, in his capacity as the Chair of the Committee. We will miss his knowledge and unique insights."
David L. Boyles thanked the Board and said, "I have had a rewarding association with Infosys over the past eight years. I would like to thank the Board of Directors for giving me an opportunity to be a part of the journey of this iconic company. I wish the company and its leaders the very best."
David L. Boyles has held senior leadership positions at large multinational corporations, including American Express, Bank of America and ANZ Banking Group. He retired from the ANZ and full-time corporate life in December 2003. David's most recent corporate position was that of Chief Operations Officer at ANZ Banking Group where he was responsible for Technology, Payments, Property, Strategic Sourcing and other shared services. He was also on the Board of ANZ Bank New Zealand and chaired the ANZ Group Operating Risks Executive Committee. Prior to ANZ, he was Senior Vice President, e-Commerce, at American Express. In this role, he was responsible for state-of-the-art online services and emerging technologies. His early roles with AMEXCO included Senior Vice President, Global Systems and Operations, Travellers Cheque Group. Earlier leadership positions include Downey Financial (Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer) and Bank of America (Senior Vice President, Consumer Markets). David has an MBA from Washington State University and an MA and BA (summa cum laude) in Psychology from UNC, Greeley and authored a book Maximising the Business Value of your Technology Investment (©2005, Infosys and Microsoft).
About Infosys Ltd
Infosys is a global leader in consulting, technology and outsourcing solutions. We enable clients, in more than 30 countries, to stay a step ahead of emerging business trends and outperform the competition. We help them transform and thrive in a changing world by co-creating breakthrough solutions that combine strategic insights and execution excellence.
Visit http://www.infosys.com to see how Infosys (NYSE: INFY), with US$7.4 billion in annual revenues and 158,000+ employees, is Building Tomorrow's Enterprise® today.
Certain statements in this release concerning our future growth prospects are forward-looking statements, which involve a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those in such forward-looking statements. The risks and uncertainties relating to these statements include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties regarding fluctuations in earnings, fluctuations in foreign exchange rates, our ability to manage growth, intense competition in IT services including those factors which may affect our cost advantage, wage increases in India, our ability to attract and retain highly skilled professionals, time and cost overruns on fixed-price, fixed-time frame contracts, client concentration, restrictions on immigration, industry segment concentration, our ability to manage our international operations, reduced demand for technology in our key focus areas, disruptions in telecommunication networks or system failures, our ability to successfully complete and integrate potential acquisitions, liability for damages on our service contracts, the success of the companies in which Infosys has made strategic investments, withdrawal or expiration of governmental fiscal incentives, political instability and regional conflicts, legal restrictions on raising capital or acquiring companies outside India, and unauthorized use of our intellectual property and general economic conditions affecting our industry. Additional risks that could affect our future operating results are more fully described in our United States Securities and Exchange Commission filings including our Annual Report on Form 20-F for the fiscal year ended March 31, 2013 and on Form 6-K for the quarter ended September 30, 2013. These filings are available at http://www.sec.gov. Infosys may, from time to time, make additional written and oral forward-looking statements, including statements contained in the company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and our reports to shareholders. The company does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements that may be made from time to time by or on behalf of the company unless it is required by law.
Infosys Limited and subsidiaries
Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Balance Sheets as of
(Dollars in millions except share data)
December March 31, 31, 2013 2013 ASSETS Current assets Cash and cash equivalents $ 3,712 $4,021 Available-for-sale financial assets 418 320 Investment in certificates of deposit 106 - Trade receivables 1,447 1,305 Unbilled revenue 423 449 Derivative financial instruments - 19 Prepayments and other current assets 428 391 Total current assets 6,534 6,505 Non-current assets Property, plant and equipment 1,202 1,191 Goodwill 354 364 Intangible assets 60 68 Available-for-sale financial assets 203 72 Deferred income tax assets 98 94 Income tax assets 241 201 Other non-current assets 41 44 Total non-current assets 2,199 2,034 Total assets $8,733 $8,539 LIABILITIES AND EQUITY Current liabilities Derivative financial instruments $16 - Trade payables 29 35 Current income tax liabilities 318 245 Client deposits 7 6 Unearned revenue 142 152 Employee benefit obligations 148 113 Provisions 49 39 Other current liabilities 733 568 Total current liabilities 1,442 1,158 Non-current liabilities Deferred income tax liabilities 11 23 Other non-current liabilities 49 27 Total liabilities 1,502 1,208 Equity Share capital - `5 ($0.16) par value 600,000,000 equity shares authorized, issued and outstanding 571,402,566 each, net of 2,833,600 treasury shares each as of December 31, 2013 and March 31, 2013, respectively 64 64 Share premium 704 704 Retained earnings 8,405 7,666 Other components of equity (1,942) (1,103) Total equity attributable to equity holders of the company 7,231 7,331 Non-controlling interests - - Total equity 7,231 7,331 Total liabilities and equity $8,733 $8,539
Infosys Limited and subsidiaries
Unaudited Condensed Consolidated Statements of Comprehensive Income
(Dollars in millions except share and per equity share data)
Three Three Nine Nine months months months months ended ended ended ended December December December December 31, 2013 31, 2012 31, 2013 31, 2012 Revenues $2,100 $1,911 $6,157 $5,460 Cost of sales 1,341 1,203 3,974 3,376 Gross profit 759 708 2,183 2,084 Operating expenses: Selling and marketing expenses 104 99 327 277 Administrative expenses* 129 118 411 355 Total operating expenses 233 217 738 632 Operating profit 526 491 1,445 1,452 Other income, net 117 92 301 308 Profit before income taxes 643 583 1,746 1,760 Income tax expense 180 149 482 479 Net profit $463 $434 $1,264 $1,281 Other comprehensive income Items that will not be reclassified to profit or loss: Re-measurement of the net defined benefit liability/(asset) 4 - 10 - Items that may be reclassified subsequently to profit or loss: Fair value changes on available-for-sale financial asset, net of tax effect (10) - (14) - Exchange differences on translating foreign operations 91 (250) (844) (478) Total other comprehensive income $85 ($250) ($848) ($478) Total comprehensive income $548 $184 $416 $803 Profit attributable to: Owners of the company $463 $434 $1,264 $1,281 Non-controlling interests - - - - $463 $434 $1,264 $1,281 Total comprehensive income attributable to: Owners of the company $548 $184 $416 $803 Non-controlling interests - - - - $548 $184 $416 $803 Earnings per equity share Basic ($) 0.81 0.76 2.21 2.24 Diluted ($) 0.81 0.76 2.21 2.24 Weighted average equity shares used in computing earnings per equity share Basic 571,402,566 571,400,086 571,402,566 571,398,129 Diluted 571,402,566 571,400,417 571,402,566 571,399,018
(*) Administrative expenses for nine months ended December 31, 2013 include a charge of $ 35 million towards visa related matters.
1. The unaudited Condensed Consolidated Balance sheets and Condensed Consolidated Statements of Comprehensive Income for the three months and nine months ended December 31, 2013 have been taken on record at the Board meeting held on January 10, 2014
2. A Fact Sheet providing the operating metrics of the company can be downloaded from http://www.infosys.com
INR Press Release: http://multivu.prnewswire.com/mnr/prne/operations/INR-Press-Release.pdf
Sarah Vanita Gideon, India
Ken Montgomery, Golin Harris for Infosys, US
Internet-of-Things discussions can end up either going down the consumer gadget rabbit hole or focused on the sort of data logging that industrial manufacturers have been doing forever. However, in fact, companies today are already using IoT data both to optimize their operational technology and to improve the experience of customer interactions in novel ways. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Gordon Haff, Red Hat Technology Evangelist, will share examples from a wide range of industries – includin...
Dec. 10, 2016 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,773
The WebRTC Summit New York, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is now open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 20th International Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo. WebRTC is the future of browser-to-browser communications, and continues to make inroads into the traditional, difficult, plug-in web co...
Dec. 10, 2016 08:30 AM EST Reads: 1,504
"We build IoT infrastructure products - when you have to integrate different devices, different systems and cloud you have to build an application to do that but we eliminate the need to build an application. Our products can integrate any device, any system, any cloud regardless of protocol," explained Peter Jung, Chief Product Officer at Pulzze Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 10, 2016 08:15 AM EST Reads: 1,254
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 585
According to Forrester Research, every business will become either a digital predator or digital prey by 2020. To avoid demise, organizations must rapidly create new sources of value in their end-to-end customer experiences. True digital predators also must break down information and process silos and extend digital transformation initiatives to empower employees with the digital resources needed to win, serve, and retain customers.
Dec. 10, 2016 04:15 AM EST Reads: 1,392
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
Dec. 10, 2016 04:00 AM EST Reads: 5,320
IoT solutions exploit operational data generated by Internet-connected smart “things” for the purpose of gaining operational insight and producing “better outcomes” (for example, create new business models, eliminate unscheduled maintenance, etc.). The explosive proliferation of IoT solutions will result in an exponential growth in the volume of IoT data, precipitating significant Information Governance issues: who owns the IoT data, what are the rights/duties of IoT solutions adopters towards t...
Dec. 10, 2016 03:15 AM EST Reads: 511
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Dec. 10, 2016 02:15 AM EST Reads: 808
Complete Internet of Things (IoT) embedded device security is not just about the device but involves the entire product’s identity, data and control integrity, and services traversing the cloud. A device can no longer be looked at as an island; it is a part of a system. In fact, given the cross-domain interactions enabled by IoT it could be a part of many systems. Also, depending on where the device is deployed, for example, in the office building versus a factory floor or oil field, security ha...
Dec. 10, 2016 02:00 AM EST Reads: 666
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, discussed recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model for s...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:30 AM EST Reads: 803
In his general session at 19th Cloud Expo, Manish Dixit, VP of Product and Engineering at Dice, discussed how Dice leverages data insights and tools to help both tech professionals and recruiters better understand how skills relate to each other and which skills are in high demand using interactive visualizations and salary indicator tools to maximize earning potential. Manish Dixit is VP of Product and Engineering at Dice. As the leader of the Product, Engineering and Data Sciences team at D...
Dec. 10, 2016 01:00 AM EST Reads: 1,280
"We're a cybersecurity firm that specializes in engineering security solutions both at the software and hardware level. Security cannot be an after-the-fact afterthought, which is what it's become," stated Richard Blech, Chief Executive Officer at Secure Channels, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 11:30 PM EST Reads: 1,165
In this strange new world where more and more power is drawn from business technology, companies are effectively straddling two paths on the road to innovation and transformation into digital enterprises. The first path is the heritage trail – with “legacy” technology forming the background. Here, extant technologies are transformed by core IT teams to provide more API-driven approaches. Legacy systems can restrict companies that are transitioning into digital enterprises. To truly become a lead...
Dec. 9, 2016 10:45 PM EST Reads: 596
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, discussed how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your aud...
Dec. 9, 2016 10:00 PM EST Reads: 357
"Once customers get a year into their IoT deployments, they start to realize that they may have been shortsighted in the ways they built out their deployment and the key thing I see a lot of people looking at is - how can I take equipment data, pull it back in an IoT solution and show it in a dashboard," stated Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 9, 2016 09:30 PM EST Reads: 1,295
What happens when the different parts of a vehicle become smarter than the vehicle itself? As we move toward the era of smart everything, hundreds of entities in a vehicle that communicate with each other, the vehicle and external systems create a need for identity orchestration so that all entities work as a conglomerate. Much like an orchestra without a conductor, without the ability to secure, control, and connect the link between a vehicle’s head unit, devices, and systems and to manage the ...
Dec. 9, 2016 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,053
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effici...
Dec. 9, 2016 06:45 PM EST Reads: 5,159
Everyone knows that truly innovative companies learn as they go along, pushing boundaries in response to market changes and demands. What's more of a mystery is how to balance innovation on a fresh platform built from scratch with the legacy tech stack, product suite and customers that continue to serve as the business' foundation. In his General Session at 19th Cloud Expo, Michael Chambliss, Head of Engineering at ReadyTalk, discussed why and how ReadyTalk diverted from healthy revenue and mor...
Dec. 9, 2016 06:15 PM EST Reads: 1,774
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Dec. 9, 2016 05:30 PM EST Reads: 2,388
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to simplify and streamline our lives by automating routine tasks that distract us from our goals. This promise is based on the ubiquitous deployment of smart, connected devices that link everything from industrial control systems to automobiles to refrigerators. Unfortunately, comparatively few of the devices currently deployed have been developed with an eye toward security, and as the DDoS attacks of late October 2016 have demonstrated, this oversight can ...
Dec. 9, 2016 05:15 PM EST Reads: 1,493