|By PR Newswire||
|January 9, 2014 12:51 PM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Cloud in European Vertical Markets
Expected Evolution of Cloud Adoption in the Retail, Manufacturing, and Energy/Utilities Sectors
Globally, enterprises are moving their IT infrastructure to the cloud, aiming to benefit from advantages of scalability and cost. However, the rate of adoption of cloud is varied with some sectors quick to implement the cloud and others choosing a more gradual approach. In this study, Frost & Sullivan discusses the pace of cloud adoption in 3 sectors – retail, manufacturing, and energy – which exhibit different trends of cloud implementation. The study also highlights the challenges encountered by the energy, retail, and manufacturing verticals and how implementation of cloud can help improve overall efficiency.
State of Cloud Adoption Among Vertical Sectors
• The adoption of cloud is expected to benefit organisations due to the cost-effectiveness, simplicity, flexibility, and scalability offered by the model. However, apprehensions concerned with transitioning to new technologies and internal barriers to migration have caused verticals to react differently to implementation of the cloud.
• Verticals are at different stages of adoption with traditionally conservative industries exhibiting slower transition than others and with reasonably optimistic outlook towards implementation of new technologies.
• In this research, Frost & Sullivan aims to analyse the state of adoption and areas for cloud implementation in the energy, retail, and manufacturing. As these are the 3 industries identified as most likely to drive smart transformation, Frost & Sullivan needed to illustrate the current cloud technologies landscape. This research is based on primary (interviews with stakeholders in the markets) and secondary inputs (Frost & Sullivan database).
• The retail sector is the most advanced industry that has adopted cloud technologies. This could be due to the common theme observed in most sectors in the willingness to migrate enterprise applications to the cloud while continuing to operate mission-critical systems on legacy systems.
• Manufacturing remains slow in cloud technologies adoption despite expectations that the sector would have progressed significantly into smart manufacturing processes via information and communications technologies. The energy sector is the slowest in cloud technologies adoption.
• An industry with inherent seasonal shifts, the retail sector is customer-facing with an increasing need to use emerging technology trends such as mobile and social media. It, therefore, stands to benefit from the scalability offered by the cloud.
• This research service will identify the key areas of cloud transition in the retail sector and highlight current cases of retailers and vendors using this technology in the market.
• The global nature of manufacturing business necessitates the use of cloud technology that can integrate operations across the world, reducing delays due to co-ordination between stakeholders in the manufacturing process.
• Frost & Sullivan discusses the options available for manufacturers to migrate to cloud-based solutions as it traditionally relies on applications that are part of the enterprise resource planning suite.
• The energy sector is a traditionally conservative and risk-averse industry and is, therefore, relatively slow in the adoption of cloud. However, the rise in big data and the need to be cost-efficient is expected to increase investment in cloud.
• Frost & Sullivan investigates the forces behind transition of energy applications to the cloud and examines the different cases for cloud implementation, as well as the opinions of utilities.
• The following sections in this research will discuss the challenges encountered by energy, retail, and manufacturing verticals and how implementation of cloud can help improve overall efficiency.
Importance of Technology for the Success of Retail
• The retail sector is a competitive, customer-facing industry with low profit margins that relies on the use of technology to ensure efficiency in operations and increase visibility among customers.
• The information and communication technologies (ICT) industry is, therefore, an important supporting arm for retailers to help maintain adequate competency levels and ensure survival in the market.
• Frost & Sullivan estimates that the retail sector ranks among the top 10 industries with heavy investments in ICT.
• Additionally, ICT expenditure is expected to grow even further with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) ofX% between 2012 and 2017.
• On the supply end, ICT can help retailers to co-ordinate the supply chain participants and maintain accurate delivery of products to the store.
ICT in Retail Sector
• Supply Chain Applications
• Demand Management
• Point-of-Sales (PoS)
• On the demand side, retailers can use technology to capitalise on social media and mobile technology trends to build a brand image.
• Retailers can also use emerging technology to improve their back-office systems and in-store operations.
• Currently, a large number of retailers are embracing emerging technologies such as machine-to-machine (M2M) communication, big data, mobile apps, and digital signage.
• The following section will discuss the application of cloud computing in retail and explain how migrating to the cloud can help retailers overcome challenges encountered in the market.
• M2M Communication
• Big Data Analytics
• Cloud Computing
• Location-based Applications
• Mobile Payment Apps
Challenges in the Retail Sector
Facing Cut-throat Competition - Challenges
The retail sector is a highly competitive industry with an increasing need for market participants to maintain margins by providing efficient services. One of the ways retailers can survive a cut-throat competitive market is to have a transparent production and distribution process that brings to market products based on the preferences of the customer.
Managing Inventory Management in Real-time
One of the central functions in the back-end of a retail store is the process of monitoring incoming and outgoing stock. Inventory management is a time-consuming, but critical activity for retailers. Getting it right is a mark of a profitable organisation. It can be a complex process for large retailers that maintain multiple stores. They cannot afford to run out of products demanded by customers as this can cause a decrease in their profit margins.
In order to meet demands accurately, it is also important for inventory managers to be able to study and forecast demand. Information about demand and required inventory levels can then be passed through to the supply chain.
Developing Customer Interaction
The other side of the coin for retail success is for retailers to differentiate themselves from the rest, building a unique brand image among customers. This requires effort from retailers to develop relationships with customers using interactive technologies. There is a growing trend of eCommerce websites replacing traditional brick and mortar shops. It has, therefore, become more difficult to engage with customers. Retailers have to find newer ways of interacting with customers.
Enhancing Customer Experience
Moreover, in a world where people are increasingly becoming more gadget-friendly, interacting on social media networks and spending more time on the virtual world, it is important to provide a unique and enjoyable retail experience that keeps the customer engaged. Retailers, therefore, have to go beyond simple in-store interaction to more innovative methods using technology that helps build customer relationship and add value to them. Innovation and improvisation are constant challenges retailers have to overcome to be ahead of their competition.
Cloud Technologies Address Retail Sector's Challenges
How an Cloud Help Overcome these Challenges?
Increased adoption of new technologies, use of mobile and social media interaction, and analysing customer data bases to gain deeper insight into shopping behaviour require the scalability, speed, and assured up-time that the cloud model can offer.
Cloud computing can also contribute to maintaining more efficient software systems that can provide transparency in the retail process from production to distribution through sales at the retail shop.
Retailers can implement cloud in their administrative systems, mission-critical systems, PoS solutions, or eCommerce sites.
Some of the most commonly used cloud-based solutions are general administrative software for human resource management, customer relationship management, or other platforms for marketing and sales.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Retail Sector
3. Manufacturing Sector
4. Energy/Utilities Sector
6. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
Cloud in European Vertical Markets
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jun. 24, 2016 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,038
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 24, 2016 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 298
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Jun. 24, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,279
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their backend AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT - especially in the connected home and office. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Kocher, founder and managing director of Grey Heron, explained how Amazon is extending its reach to become a major force in IoT by building on its dominant cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strat...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,524
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 24, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 683
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 558
It is one thing to build single industrial IoT applications, but what will it take to build the Smart Cities and truly society changing applications of the future? The technology won’t be the problem, it will be the number of parties that need to work together and be aligned in their motivation to succeed. In his Day 2 Keynote at @ThingsExpo, Henrik Kenani Dahlgren, Portfolio Marketing Manager at Ericsson, discussed how to plan to cooperate, partner, and form lasting all-star teams to change t...
Jun. 24, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 912
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 24, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 826
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,135
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,088
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 24, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 558
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,086
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,179
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 747
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,165
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Jun. 24, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,388
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Jun. 24, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 938
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jun. 24, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,134
industrial company for a multi-year contract initially valued at over $4.0 million. In addition to DataV software, Bsquare will also provide comprehensive systems integration, support and maintenance services. DataV leverages advanced data analytics, predictive reasoning, data-driven diagnostics, and automated orchestration of remediation actions in order to improve asset uptime while reducing service and warranty costs.
Jun. 22, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,326
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Jun. 19, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,216