|By PR Newswire||
|January 9, 2014 12:51 PM EST||
LONDON, Jan. 9, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportbuyer.com just published a new market research report:
Cloud in European Vertical Markets
Expected Evolution of Cloud Adoption in the Retail, Manufacturing, and Energy/Utilities Sectors
Globally, enterprises are moving their IT infrastructure to the cloud, aiming to benefit from advantages of scalability and cost. However, the rate of adoption of cloud is varied with some sectors quick to implement the cloud and others choosing a more gradual approach. In this study, Frost & Sullivan discusses the pace of cloud adoption in 3 sectors – retail, manufacturing, and energy – which exhibit different trends of cloud implementation. The study also highlights the challenges encountered by the energy, retail, and manufacturing verticals and how implementation of cloud can help improve overall efficiency.
State of Cloud Adoption Among Vertical Sectors
• The adoption of cloud is expected to benefit organisations due to the cost-effectiveness, simplicity, flexibility, and scalability offered by the model. However, apprehensions concerned with transitioning to new technologies and internal barriers to migration have caused verticals to react differently to implementation of the cloud.
• Verticals are at different stages of adoption with traditionally conservative industries exhibiting slower transition than others and with reasonably optimistic outlook towards implementation of new technologies.
• In this research, Frost & Sullivan aims to analyse the state of adoption and areas for cloud implementation in the energy, retail, and manufacturing. As these are the 3 industries identified as most likely to drive smart transformation, Frost & Sullivan needed to illustrate the current cloud technologies landscape. This research is based on primary (interviews with stakeholders in the markets) and secondary inputs (Frost & Sullivan database).
• The retail sector is the most advanced industry that has adopted cloud technologies. This could be due to the common theme observed in most sectors in the willingness to migrate enterprise applications to the cloud while continuing to operate mission-critical systems on legacy systems.
• Manufacturing remains slow in cloud technologies adoption despite expectations that the sector would have progressed significantly into smart manufacturing processes via information and communications technologies. The energy sector is the slowest in cloud technologies adoption.
• An industry with inherent seasonal shifts, the retail sector is customer-facing with an increasing need to use emerging technology trends such as mobile and social media. It, therefore, stands to benefit from the scalability offered by the cloud.
• This research service will identify the key areas of cloud transition in the retail sector and highlight current cases of retailers and vendors using this technology in the market.
• The global nature of manufacturing business necessitates the use of cloud technology that can integrate operations across the world, reducing delays due to co-ordination between stakeholders in the manufacturing process.
• Frost & Sullivan discusses the options available for manufacturers to migrate to cloud-based solutions as it traditionally relies on applications that are part of the enterprise resource planning suite.
• The energy sector is a traditionally conservative and risk-averse industry and is, therefore, relatively slow in the adoption of cloud. However, the rise in big data and the need to be cost-efficient is expected to increase investment in cloud.
• Frost & Sullivan investigates the forces behind transition of energy applications to the cloud and examines the different cases for cloud implementation, as well as the opinions of utilities.
• The following sections in this research will discuss the challenges encountered by energy, retail, and manufacturing verticals and how implementation of cloud can help improve overall efficiency.
Importance of Technology for the Success of Retail
• The retail sector is a competitive, customer-facing industry with low profit margins that relies on the use of technology to ensure efficiency in operations and increase visibility among customers.
• The information and communication technologies (ICT) industry is, therefore, an important supporting arm for retailers to help maintain adequate competency levels and ensure survival in the market.
• Frost & Sullivan estimates that the retail sector ranks among the top 10 industries with heavy investments in ICT.
• Additionally, ICT expenditure is expected to grow even further with a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) ofX% between 2012 and 2017.
• On the supply end, ICT can help retailers to co-ordinate the supply chain participants and maintain accurate delivery of products to the store.
ICT in Retail Sector
• Supply Chain Applications
• Demand Management
• Point-of-Sales (PoS)
• On the demand side, retailers can use technology to capitalise on social media and mobile technology trends to build a brand image.
• Retailers can also use emerging technology to improve their back-office systems and in-store operations.
• Currently, a large number of retailers are embracing emerging technologies such as machine-to-machine (M2M) communication, big data, mobile apps, and digital signage.
• The following section will discuss the application of cloud computing in retail and explain how migrating to the cloud can help retailers overcome challenges encountered in the market.
• M2M Communication
• Big Data Analytics
• Cloud Computing
• Location-based Applications
• Mobile Payment Apps
Challenges in the Retail Sector
Facing Cut-throat Competition - Challenges
The retail sector is a highly competitive industry with an increasing need for market participants to maintain margins by providing efficient services. One of the ways retailers can survive a cut-throat competitive market is to have a transparent production and distribution process that brings to market products based on the preferences of the customer.
Managing Inventory Management in Real-time
One of the central functions in the back-end of a retail store is the process of monitoring incoming and outgoing stock. Inventory management is a time-consuming, but critical activity for retailers. Getting it right is a mark of a profitable organisation. It can be a complex process for large retailers that maintain multiple stores. They cannot afford to run out of products demanded by customers as this can cause a decrease in their profit margins.
In order to meet demands accurately, it is also important for inventory managers to be able to study and forecast demand. Information about demand and required inventory levels can then be passed through to the supply chain.
Developing Customer Interaction
The other side of the coin for retail success is for retailers to differentiate themselves from the rest, building a unique brand image among customers. This requires effort from retailers to develop relationships with customers using interactive technologies. There is a growing trend of eCommerce websites replacing traditional brick and mortar shops. It has, therefore, become more difficult to engage with customers. Retailers have to find newer ways of interacting with customers.
Enhancing Customer Experience
Moreover, in a world where people are increasingly becoming more gadget-friendly, interacting on social media networks and spending more time on the virtual world, it is important to provide a unique and enjoyable retail experience that keeps the customer engaged. Retailers, therefore, have to go beyond simple in-store interaction to more innovative methods using technology that helps build customer relationship and add value to them. Innovation and improvisation are constant challenges retailers have to overcome to be ahead of their competition.
Cloud Technologies Address Retail Sector's Challenges
How an Cloud Help Overcome these Challenges?
Increased adoption of new technologies, use of mobile and social media interaction, and analysing customer data bases to gain deeper insight into shopping behaviour require the scalability, speed, and assured up-time that the cloud model can offer.
Cloud computing can also contribute to maintaining more efficient software systems that can provide transparency in the retail process from production to distribution through sales at the retail shop.
Retailers can implement cloud in their administrative systems, mission-critical systems, PoS solutions, or eCommerce sites.
Some of the most commonly used cloud-based solutions are general administrative software for human resource management, customer relationship management, or other platforms for marketing and sales.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Retail Sector
3. Manufacturing Sector
4. Energy/Utilities Sector
6. The Frost & Sullivan Story
Read the full report:
Cloud in European Vertical Markets
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Jul. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 965
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,388
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jul. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,087
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,513
ReadyTalk has expanded the capabilities of the FoxDen collaboration platform announced late last year to include FoxDen Connect, an in-room video collaboration experience that launches with a single touch. With FoxDen Connect, users can now not only engage in HD video conferencing between iOS and Android mobile devices or Chrome browsers, but also set up in-person meeting rooms for video interactions. A host’s mobile device automatically recognizes the presence of a meeting room via beacon tech...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 530
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jul. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,182
It’s 2016: buildings are smart, connected and the IoT is fundamentally altering how control and operating systems work and speak to each other. Platforms across the enterprise are networked via inexpensive sensors to collect massive amounts of data for analytics, information management, and insights that can be used to continuously improve operations. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Chemel, Co-Founder and CTO of Digital Lumens, will explore: The benefits sensor-networked systems bring to ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,657
On Dice.com, the number of job postings asking for skill in Amazon Web Services increased 76 percent between June 2015 and June 2016. Salesforce.com saw its own skill mentions increase 37 percent, while DevOps and Cloud rose 35 percent and 28 percent, respectively. Even as they expand their presence in the cloud, companies are also looking for tech professionals who can manage projects, crunch data, and figure out how to make systems run more autonomously. Mentions of ‘data science’ as a skill ...
Jul. 30, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 608
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet a...
Jul. 30, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 772
Amazon has gradually rolled out parts of its IoT offerings in the last year, but these are just the tip of the iceberg. In addition to optimizing their back-end AWS offerings, Amazon is laying the ground work to be a major force in IoT – especially in the connected home and office. Amazon is extending its reach by building on its dominant Cloud IoT platform, its Dash Button strategy, recently announced Replenishment Services, the Echo/Alexa voice recognition control platform, the 6-7 strategic...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 727
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 30, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,417
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,695
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it ...
Jul. 30, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 541
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 30, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,720
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 30, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,148
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 30, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,665
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,505
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,201
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 30, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,700
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jul. 29, 2016 10:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,090