|By Carmen Gonzalez||
|September 25, 2013 05:00 PM EDT||
To enable communications service providers (CSPs) and enterprises to offer WebRTC services -- from virtually any device, across virtually any network -- with carrier-grade reliability and security, Oracle unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller. The solution is the first combined offering following Oracle's acquisition of Acme Packet.
- Oracle today unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, a highly available, carrier grade solution designed to support the emerging demand to develop WebRTC-based applications and services. This is the first post-acquisition combined offering from Oracle and Acme Packet.
- WebRTC is an emerging Internet standard that equips any device with a supported web browser with real-time communications (RTC) capabilities -- such as voice calling, video, chat or file sharing -- via simple application programming interfaces (APIs) without requiring users to download plug-ins.
- Enterprises and contact centers benefit by leveraging this technology for unified communications (UC) and customer service applications. Enterprises are challenged to add industry-standard UC capabilities to their bring-your-own-device (BYOD) initiatives due to the number of incompatible mobile device platforms available to employees, as well as the expense associated with proprietary UC client applications.
- CSP voice service revenues continue to face pressure due to shifts in communication preferences and competition from non-traditional service providers. Voice communications are now often embedded into applications outside the domain of traditional telephony.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller provides CSPs with an avenue to develop innovative, new, revenue-generating communications capabilities and extend the value of existing offerings. It also offers enterprises the means to connect with their customers and overcome the limitations of proprietary enterprise UC systems.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller is based on technologies from the Oracle Communications Converged Application Server and Oracle's Acme Packet Net-Net Session Director. The solution brings enterprise network capabilities into the web domain to enable CSPs and enterprises to meet user expectations to communicate virtually anytime and anywhere using virtually any application, device or network.
- When used in combination with Oracle's standards-based, secure, reliable, and highly available messaging and collaboration platform, Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite, Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller enables users to collaborate via a shared digital whiteboard, and audio and/or video conferencing. Oracle is demonstrating this integrated solution at Oracle OpenWorld this week.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller brings high-level security, reliability and interoperability to the WebRTC environment. The solution:
- Enables CSPs and enterprises to integrate carrier-grade signaling, policy and charging with any WebRTC application to support bandwidth management, media channel allocation and service quality
- Offers support for established web-based identity and authorization standards, like OAuth, allowing customers to sign into RTC applications using their web identities
- Provides robust security for managing user identity across web and traditional network domains as well as protection to prevent malicious attacks and accidental overloads
- Facilitates interworking between WebRTC clients and session initiation protocol (SIP)-based, multivendor UC systems, enabling users to more easily access their enterprise communications environment
- Enables users to pause and re-start RTC sessions on the same device or seamlessly switch between devices
- Increases web communications reliability through application rehydration -- with ability to recover disconnected sessions -- allowing easy re-connections when mobile or broadband connectivity cuts out
- Enables CSPs to reliably scale WebRTC offerings to millions of subscribers
- Contains advanced media handling for uniquely optimized firewall traversal and transcoding needs
- Delivers media and signaling threat protection, guarding against Denial of Service (DOS) and other types of attack
- Exposes web developer friendly interfaces and easy to use Software Development Kit to accelerate adoption of RTC features into Web applications
- Helps CSPs provide a premium user experience with the reliability of traditional communications services and the flexibility of over-the-top (OTT) offerings
- "Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, along with our Unified Communications Suite, enables CSPs and enterprises to offer differentiated services through secure and reliable IP-based communications from virtually any device, across virtually any network. We are pleased to offer our customers a solution that enables them to take advantage of emerging communications technologies without compromising security or reliability," said Bhaskar Gorti, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Communications.
- "Disruptive Analysis forecasts predict nearly 4 billion WebRTC-supporting devices by the end of 2016, which creates a huge opportunity for CSPs and enterprises. New platforms -- such as Oracle Communications' WebRTC Session Controller -- can help companies deploy next-generation services and capabilities with a high level of dependability," said Dean Bubley, founder and director, Disruptive Analysis.
- Oracle Communications
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Data Sheet: Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Oracle Communications on YouTube
- Oracle Communications on Diigo
- Oracle Communications on Facebook
- Oracle Communications on Twitter
- Oracle Communications on LinkedIn
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013
- Join us for Oracle OpenWorld 2013 San Francisco. Register to attend.
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013 Keynotes
- Like Oracle OpenWorld on Facebook
- Follow Oracle OpenWorld on Twitter
- Oracle OpenWorld Blog
- Oracle OpenWorld on LinkedIn
About Oracle Communications
Oracle Communications solutions span the communications industry landscape -- from cross-channel customer experience and business and operational support systems, to network service and session delivery and control solutions -- enabling service providers and enterprises to deliver and monetize innovative digital lifestyle services, build strong customer relationships, and streamline operations. For more information, visit http://www.oracle.com/communications
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Dec. 22, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,362
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 22, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 1,471
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Dec. 21, 2014 02:00 PM EST Reads: 2,446
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 21, 2014 01:00 PM EST Reads: 2,043
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Dec. 21, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,449
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Dec. 21, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,201
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Dec. 21, 2014 06:15 AM EST Reads: 2,174
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 20, 2014 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,459
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,308
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 1,426
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, at more than US$500 billion, and ranks 23rd in the world. A recent re-evaluation of Nigeria's true economic size doubled the previous estimate, and brought it well ahead of South Africa, which is a member (unlike Nigeria) of the G20 club for political as well as economic reasons. Nigeria's economy can be said to be quite diverse from one point of view, but heavily dependent on oil and gas at the same time. Oil and natural gas account for about 15% of Nigera's overall economy, but traditionally represent more than 90% of the country's exports and as...
Dec. 18, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 979
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 1,469
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 1,519
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 1,482
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 1,450
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,592
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,447
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Dec. 15, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 1,799
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 6,949
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP's Printing and Personal Systems Group, discussed how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, sensors, social, and ...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 2,005