|By Carmen Gonzalez||
|September 25, 2013 05:00 PM EDT||
To enable communications service providers (CSPs) and enterprises to offer WebRTC services -- from virtually any device, across virtually any network -- with carrier-grade reliability and security, Oracle unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller. The solution is the first combined offering following Oracle's acquisition of Acme Packet.
- Oracle today unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, a highly available, carrier grade solution designed to support the emerging demand to develop WebRTC-based applications and services. This is the first post-acquisition combined offering from Oracle and Acme Packet.
- WebRTC is an emerging Internet standard that equips any device with a supported web browser with real-time communications (RTC) capabilities -- such as voice calling, video, chat or file sharing -- via simple application programming interfaces (APIs) without requiring users to download plug-ins.
- Enterprises and contact centers benefit by leveraging this technology for unified communications (UC) and customer service applications. Enterprises are challenged to add industry-standard UC capabilities to their bring-your-own-device (BYOD) initiatives due to the number of incompatible mobile device platforms available to employees, as well as the expense associated with proprietary UC client applications.
- CSP voice service revenues continue to face pressure due to shifts in communication preferences and competition from non-traditional service providers. Voice communications are now often embedded into applications outside the domain of traditional telephony.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller provides CSPs with an avenue to develop innovative, new, revenue-generating communications capabilities and extend the value of existing offerings. It also offers enterprises the means to connect with their customers and overcome the limitations of proprietary enterprise UC systems.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller is based on technologies from the Oracle Communications Converged Application Server and Oracle's Acme Packet Net-Net Session Director. The solution brings enterprise network capabilities into the web domain to enable CSPs and enterprises to meet user expectations to communicate virtually anytime and anywhere using virtually any application, device or network.
- When used in combination with Oracle's standards-based, secure, reliable, and highly available messaging and collaboration platform, Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite, Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller enables users to collaborate via a shared digital whiteboard, and audio and/or video conferencing. Oracle is demonstrating this integrated solution at Oracle OpenWorld this week.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller brings high-level security, reliability and interoperability to the WebRTC environment. The solution:
- Enables CSPs and enterprises to integrate carrier-grade signaling, policy and charging with any WebRTC application to support bandwidth management, media channel allocation and service quality
- Offers support for established web-based identity and authorization standards, like OAuth, allowing customers to sign into RTC applications using their web identities
- Provides robust security for managing user identity across web and traditional network domains as well as protection to prevent malicious attacks and accidental overloads
- Facilitates interworking between WebRTC clients and session initiation protocol (SIP)-based, multivendor UC systems, enabling users to more easily access their enterprise communications environment
- Enables users to pause and re-start RTC sessions on the same device or seamlessly switch between devices
- Increases web communications reliability through application rehydration -- with ability to recover disconnected sessions -- allowing easy re-connections when mobile or broadband connectivity cuts out
- Enables CSPs to reliably scale WebRTC offerings to millions of subscribers
- Contains advanced media handling for uniquely optimized firewall traversal and transcoding needs
- Delivers media and signaling threat protection, guarding against Denial of Service (DOS) and other types of attack
- Exposes web developer friendly interfaces and easy to use Software Development Kit to accelerate adoption of RTC features into Web applications
- Helps CSPs provide a premium user experience with the reliability of traditional communications services and the flexibility of over-the-top (OTT) offerings
- "Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, along with our Unified Communications Suite, enables CSPs and enterprises to offer differentiated services through secure and reliable IP-based communications from virtually any device, across virtually any network. We are pleased to offer our customers a solution that enables them to take advantage of emerging communications technologies without compromising security or reliability," said Bhaskar Gorti, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Communications.
- "Disruptive Analysis forecasts predict nearly 4 billion WebRTC-supporting devices by the end of 2016, which creates a huge opportunity for CSPs and enterprises. New platforms -- such as Oracle Communications' WebRTC Session Controller -- can help companies deploy next-generation services and capabilities with a high level of dependability," said Dean Bubley, founder and director, Disruptive Analysis.
- Oracle Communications
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Data Sheet: Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Oracle Communications on YouTube
- Oracle Communications on Diigo
- Oracle Communications on Facebook
- Oracle Communications on Twitter
- Oracle Communications on LinkedIn
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013
- Join us for Oracle OpenWorld 2013 San Francisco. Register to attend.
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013 Keynotes
- Like Oracle OpenWorld on Facebook
- Follow Oracle OpenWorld on Twitter
- Oracle OpenWorld Blog
- Oracle OpenWorld on LinkedIn
About Oracle Communications
Oracle Communications solutions span the communications industry landscape -- from cross-channel customer experience and business and operational support systems, to network service and session delivery and control solutions -- enabling service providers and enterprises to deliver and monetize innovative digital lifestyle services, build strong customer relationships, and streamline operations. For more information, visit http://www.oracle.com/communications
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Jan. 27, 2015 03:00 AM EST Reads: 7,654
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Jan. 27, 2015 02:00 AM EST Reads: 2,790
In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect at GE, and Ibrahim Gokcen, who leads GE's advanced IoT analytics, focused on the Internet of Things / Industrial Internet and how to make it operational for business end-users. Learn about the challenges posed by machine and sensor data and how to marry it with enterprise data. They also discussed the tips and tricks to provide the Industrial Internet as an end-user consumable service using Big Data Analytics and Industrial Cloud.
Jan. 27, 2015 01:00 AM EST Reads: 2,614
SYS-CON Media announced that Splunk, a provider of the leading software platform for real-time Operational Intelligence, has launched an ad campaign on Big Data Journal. Splunk software and cloud services enable organizations to search, monitor, analyze and visualize machine-generated big data coming from websites, applications, servers, networks, sensors and mobile devices. The ads focus on delivering ROI - how improved uptime delivered $6M in annual ROI, improving customer operations by mining large volumes of unstructured data, and how data tracking delivers uptime when it matters most.
Jan. 27, 2015 12:30 AM EST Reads: 3,571
Things are being built upon cloud foundations to transform organizations. This CEO Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Roger Strukhoff, Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo conference chair, addressed the big issues involving these technologies and, more important, the results they will achieve. Rodney Rogers, chairman and CEO of Virtustream; Brendan O'Brien, co-founder of Aria Systems, Bart Copeland, president and CEO of ActiveState Software; Jim Cowie, chief scientist at Dyn; Dave Wagstaff, VP and chief architect at BSQUARE Corporation; Seth Proctor, CTO of NuoDB, Inc.; and Andris Gailitis, C...
Jan. 27, 2015 12:00 AM EST Reads: 2,570
SYS-CON Media announced that Cisco, a worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow, has launched a new ad campaign in Cloud Computing Journal. The ad campaign, a webcast titled 'Is Your Data Center Ready for the Application Economy?', focuses on the latest data center networking technologies, including SDN or ACI, and how customers are using SDN and ACI in their organizations to achieve business agility. The Cisco webcast is available on-demand.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:30 PM EST Reads: 1,362
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Jan. 26, 2015 09:00 PM EST Reads: 2,567
The Industrial Internet revolution is now underway, enabled by connected machines and billions of devices that communicate and collaborate. The massive amounts of Big Data requiring real-time analysis is flooding legacy IT systems and giving way to cloud environments that can handle the unpredictable workloads. Yet many barriers remain until we can fully realize the opportunities and benefits from the convergence of machines and devices with Big Data and the cloud, including interoperability, data security and privacy.
Jan. 26, 2015 07:45 PM EST Reads: 2,536
IoT is still a vague buzzword for many people. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mike Kavis, Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Partners, discussed the business value of IoT that goes far beyond the general public's perception that IoT is all about wearables and home consumer services. He also discussed how IoT is perceived by investors and how venture capitalist access this space. Other topics discussed were barriers to success, what is new, what is old, and what the future may hold. Mike Kavis is Vice President & Principal Cloud Architect at Cloud Technology Pa...
Jan. 26, 2015 06:15 PM EST Reads: 3,887
The Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly in the process of breaking from its heretofore relatively obscure enterprise applications (such as plant floor control and supply chain management) and going mainstream into the consumer space. More and more creative folks are interconnecting everyday products such as household items, mobile devices, appliances and cars, and unleashing new and imaginative scenarios. We are seeing a lot of excitement around applications in home automation, personal fitness, and in-car entertainment and this excitement will bleed into other areas. On the commercial side, m...
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 2,822
SYS-CON Events announced today that CodeFutures, a leading supplier of database performance tools, has been named a “Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. CodeFutures is an independent software vendor focused on providing tools that deliver database performance tools that increase productivity during database development and increase database performance and scalability during production.
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 1,702
Dale Kim is the Director of Industry Solutions at MapR. His background includes a variety of technical and management roles at information technology companies. While his experience includes work with relational databases, much of his career pertains to non-relational data in the areas of search, content management, and NoSQL, and includes senior roles in technical marketing, sales engineering, and support engineering. Dale holds an MBA from Santa Clara University, and a BA in Computer Science from the University of California, Berkeley.
Jan. 26, 2015 06:00 PM EST Reads: 3,096
The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to evolve the way the world does business; however, understanding how to apply it to your company can be a mystery. Most people struggle with understanding the potential business uses or tend to get caught up in the technology, resulting in solutions that fail to meet even minimum business goals. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO / President / Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., showed what is needed to leverage the IoT to transform your business. He discussed opportunities and challenges ahead for the IoT from a market and technical point of vie...
Jan. 26, 2015 05:45 PM EST Reads: 3,130
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:30 PM EST Reads: 2,386
Performance is the intersection of power, agility, control, and choice. If you value performance, and more specifically consistent performance, you need to look beyond simple virtualized compute. Many factors need to be considered to create a truly performant environment. In his General Session at 15th Cloud Expo, Harold Hannon, Sr. Software Architect at SoftLayer, discussed how to take advantage of a multitude of compute options and platform features to make cloud the cornerstone of your online presence.
Jan. 26, 2015 02:15 PM EST Reads: 2,947
In this Women in Technology Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo, moderated by Anne Plese, Senior Consultant, Cloud Product Marketing at Verizon Enterprise, Esmeralda Swartz, CMO at MetraTech; Evelyn de Souza, Data Privacy and Compliance Strategy Leader at Cisco Systems; Seema Jethani, Director of Product Management at Basho Technologies; Victoria Livschitz, CEO of Qubell Inc.; Anne Hungate, Senior Director of Software Quality at DIRECTV, discussed what path they took to find their spot within the technology industry and how do they see opportunities for other women in their area of expertise.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:45 PM EST Reads: 2,132
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:15 PM EST Reads: 2,302
Almost everyone sees the potential of Internet of Things but how can businesses truly unlock that potential. The key will be in the ability to discover business insight in the midst of an ocean of Big Data generated from billions of embedded devices via Systems of Discover. Businesses will also need to ensure that they can sustain that insight by leveraging the cloud for global reach, scale and elasticity.
Jan. 26, 2015 01:00 PM EST Reads: 3,881
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 26, 2015 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,579
Advanced Persistent Threats (APTs) are increasing at an unprecedented rate. The threat landscape of today is drastically different than just a few years ago. Attacks are much more organized and sophisticated. They are harder to detect and even harder to anticipate. In the foreseeable future it's going to get a whole lot harder. Everything you know today will change. Keeping up with this changing landscape is already a daunting task. Your organization needs to use the latest tools, methods and expertise to guard against those threats. But will that be enough? In the foreseeable future attacks w...
Jan. 26, 2015 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,924