|By Carmen Gonzalez||
|September 25, 2013 05:00 PM EDT||
To enable communications service providers (CSPs) and enterprises to offer WebRTC services -- from virtually any device, across virtually any network -- with carrier-grade reliability and security, Oracle unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller. The solution is the first combined offering following Oracle's acquisition of Acme Packet.
- Oracle today unveiled Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, a highly available, carrier grade solution designed to support the emerging demand to develop WebRTC-based applications and services. This is the first post-acquisition combined offering from Oracle and Acme Packet.
- WebRTC is an emerging Internet standard that equips any device with a supported web browser with real-time communications (RTC) capabilities -- such as voice calling, video, chat or file sharing -- via simple application programming interfaces (APIs) without requiring users to download plug-ins.
- Enterprises and contact centers benefit by leveraging this technology for unified communications (UC) and customer service applications. Enterprises are challenged to add industry-standard UC capabilities to their bring-your-own-device (BYOD) initiatives due to the number of incompatible mobile device platforms available to employees, as well as the expense associated with proprietary UC client applications.
- CSP voice service revenues continue to face pressure due to shifts in communication preferences and competition from non-traditional service providers. Voice communications are now often embedded into applications outside the domain of traditional telephony.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller provides CSPs with an avenue to develop innovative, new, revenue-generating communications capabilities and extend the value of existing offerings. It also offers enterprises the means to connect with their customers and overcome the limitations of proprietary enterprise UC systems.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller is based on technologies from the Oracle Communications Converged Application Server and Oracle's Acme Packet Net-Net Session Director. The solution brings enterprise network capabilities into the web domain to enable CSPs and enterprises to meet user expectations to communicate virtually anytime and anywhere using virtually any application, device or network.
- When used in combination with Oracle's standards-based, secure, reliable, and highly available messaging and collaboration platform, Oracle Communications Unified Communications Suite, Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller enables users to collaborate via a shared digital whiteboard, and audio and/or video conferencing. Oracle is demonstrating this integrated solution at Oracle OpenWorld this week.
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller brings high-level security, reliability and interoperability to the WebRTC environment. The solution:
- Enables CSPs and enterprises to integrate carrier-grade signaling, policy and charging with any WebRTC application to support bandwidth management, media channel allocation and service quality
- Offers support for established web-based identity and authorization standards, like OAuth, allowing customers to sign into RTC applications using their web identities
- Provides robust security for managing user identity across web and traditional network domains as well as protection to prevent malicious attacks and accidental overloads
- Facilitates interworking between WebRTC clients and session initiation protocol (SIP)-based, multivendor UC systems, enabling users to more easily access their enterprise communications environment
- Enables users to pause and re-start RTC sessions on the same device or seamlessly switch between devices
- Increases web communications reliability through application rehydration -- with ability to recover disconnected sessions -- allowing easy re-connections when mobile or broadband connectivity cuts out
- Enables CSPs to reliably scale WebRTC offerings to millions of subscribers
- Contains advanced media handling for uniquely optimized firewall traversal and transcoding needs
- Delivers media and signaling threat protection, guarding against Denial of Service (DOS) and other types of attack
- Exposes web developer friendly interfaces and easy to use Software Development Kit to accelerate adoption of RTC features into Web applications
- Helps CSPs provide a premium user experience with the reliability of traditional communications services and the flexibility of over-the-top (OTT) offerings
- "Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller, along with our Unified Communications Suite, enables CSPs and enterprises to offer differentiated services through secure and reliable IP-based communications from virtually any device, across virtually any network. We are pleased to offer our customers a solution that enables them to take advantage of emerging communications technologies without compromising security or reliability," said Bhaskar Gorti, senior vice president and general manager, Oracle Communications.
- "Disruptive Analysis forecasts predict nearly 4 billion WebRTC-supporting devices by the end of 2016, which creates a huge opportunity for CSPs and enterprises. New platforms -- such as Oracle Communications' WebRTC Session Controller -- can help companies deploy next-generation services and capabilities with a high level of dependability," said Dean Bubley, founder and director, Disruptive Analysis.
- Oracle Communications
- Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Data Sheet: Oracle Communications WebRTC Session Controller
- Oracle Communications on YouTube
- Oracle Communications on Diigo
- Oracle Communications on Facebook
- Oracle Communications on Twitter
- Oracle Communications on LinkedIn
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013
- Join us for Oracle OpenWorld 2013 San Francisco. Register to attend.
- Oracle OpenWorld 2013 Keynotes
- Like Oracle OpenWorld on Facebook
- Follow Oracle OpenWorld on Twitter
- Oracle OpenWorld Blog
- Oracle OpenWorld on LinkedIn
About Oracle Communications
Oracle Communications solutions span the communications industry landscape -- from cross-channel customer experience and business and operational support systems, to network service and session delivery and control solutions -- enabling service providers and enterprises to deliver and monetize innovative digital lifestyle services, build strong customer relationships, and streamline operations. For more information, visit http://www.oracle.com/communications
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 27, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 946
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,584
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,680
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,185
SYS-CON Events announced today that CDS Global Cloud, an Infrastructure as a Service provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CDS Global Cloud is an IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) provider specializing in solutions for e-commerce, internet gaming, online education and other internet applications. With a growing number of data centers and network points around the world, ...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,847
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Sep. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,149
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,038
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus...
Sep. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,176
In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Lee Atchison, Principal Cloud Architect and Advocate at New Relic, discussed cloud as a ‘better data center’ and how it adds new capacity (faster) and improves application availability (redundancy). The cloud is a ‘Dynamic Tool for Dynamic Apps’ and resource allocation is an integral part of your application architecture, so use only the resources you need and allocate /de-allocate resources on the fly.
Sep. 27, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,683
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,644
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,632
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,724
An IoT product’s log files speak volumes about what’s happening with your products in the field, pinpointing current and potential issues, and enabling you to predict failures and save millions of dollars in inventory. But until recently, no one knew how to listen. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dan Gettens, Chief Research Officer at OnProcess, will discuss recent research by Massachusetts Institute of Technology and OnProcess Technology, where MIT created a new, breakthrough analytics model f...
Sep. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,002
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,306
Ask someone to architect an Internet of Things (IoT) solution and you are guaranteed to see a reference to the cloud. This would lead you to believe that IoT requires the cloud to exist. However, there are many IoT use cases where the cloud is not feasible or desirable. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Dave McCarthy, Director of Products at Bsquare Corporation, will discuss the strategies that exist to extend intelligence directly to IoT devices and sensors, freeing them from the constraints of ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,517
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,987
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT de...
Sep. 27, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,123
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Sep. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,345
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, provided tips on how to be successful in large scale machine learning...
Sep. 27, 2016 06:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,912
Information technology is an industry that has always experienced change, and the dramatic change sweeping across the industry today could not be truthfully described as the first time we've seen such widespread change impacting customer investments. However, the rate of the change, and the potential outcomes from today's digital transformation has the distinct potential to separate the industry into two camps: Organizations that see the change coming, embrace it, and successful leverage it; and...
Sep. 27, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,166