|By PR Newswire||
|November 28, 2012 03:00 AM EST||
-- Mobile Services Have Potential to Drive Growth, Innovation, Employment and Sustainability Across Multiple Sectors; Partnerships Are Now Key to Maximising the Opportunity for Europe
BRUSSELS, Nov. 28, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- The GSMA today highlights the urgent need for European industry and governments to work together to harness the potential of mobile communications to drive growth, increase employment, stimulate innovation and improve sustainability. The GSMA's Connected Europe conference explores how mobile-enabled services can revolutionise core European sectors including transport, healthcare and utilities. It also examines how the right European policy framework can accelerate the roll-out and take-up of new mobile services that will boost socio-economic benefits for the region. Despite recent setbacks for the European mobile industry with decreasing revenues that will impact future investment, mobile communication is still a key European industry, comparable in size to aerospace and larger than pharmaceuticals, with total revenues amounting to around 174 billion Euros(1).
A series of exclusive keynotes and panel discussions will be delivered by prominent figures from the telecoms, automotive, energy, health and education sectors who will discuss these developments with senior EU institutional representatives. Speakers include Anne Bouverot, Director General, GSMA; Thibaut Kleiner, Member of the Cabinet of Vice-President Neelie Kroes, European Commission; Karsten Ottenberg, CEO, Giesecke & Devrient; and Morten Karlsen Sorby, Executive Vice President and Head of Strategy and Regulatory Affairs, Telenor Group.
Anne Bouverot, Director General, GSMA, commented: "Europe is experiencing successive waves of mobile connectivity. The first wave - Europe's GSM success - connected people on the move. The second wave brought mobile broadband at ever-increasing speeds to hundreds of millions of Europe's citizens and businesses. We are now seeing the third wave with mobile networks delivering connectivity to devices ranging from health monitors and smart meters to connected cars, transforming the face of industry and the lives of individuals."
Impact of Mobile in Europe
Europe has the highest mobile penetration rate in the world, with total connections of 135 per cent in Europe in 2012 (versus 87 per cent in Asia and 108 per cent in Northern America), and predicted to rise to 152 per cent by 2017. Meanwhile the penetration of unique mobile subscribers is currently at 76 per cent in the region and set to increase to 80 per cent by 2017(2).
Across Europe, it is forecast there will be 2.1 billion mobile connections by the end of this decade, an increase of more than 60 per cent from 1.3 billion today(3). Advanced mobile broadband networks are delivering faster data rates, low latency and expanding coverage, with currently 326 million mobile broadband connections in Europe alone(4).
Mobile connected devices in Europe are predicted to soar to almost 1 billion by 2020, with total connected devices estimated to reach almost 6 billion. Total revenues forecast for key industries in Europe through mobile connectivity by 2020 per year include almost 23 billion Euros for healthcare; 46 billion Euros for Smart Cities and utilities; and 48 billion Euros for the automotive and transport sector.
Meeting Key EU Challenges
The mobile industry now has the potential to meet four key EU challenges by:
- Driving growth through network investment, job creation and contributions to public funding, including through taxes and licence fees, and also by transforming other industries;
- Generating further employment opportunities beyond the jobs created for an estimated 1.7 million European citizens already;
- Providing a platform and spur for innovation across all sectors and the whole economy; and
- Supporting sustainability by limiting its own carbon emissions and helping reduce carbon footprints across other industries(5)
Realising the Connected Europe
Private investment, enterprise and innovation will be vital for building a Connected Europe, with partnerships between industry sectors and between industry and government. However, EU institutions can enable the full and accelerated development of a Connected Europe by taking a supportive policy and regulatory approach that addresses key asks from the European mobile industry:
Connectivity - encourage investment in mobile broadband networks and reduce obstacles to their deployment
- Accelerate the harmonised deployment of available spectrum across all member states, and identify new spectrum for next generation mobile networks
- Help limit network deployment costs by allowing infrastructure sharing on a commercial basis, promoting national best-practice on base station licensing and authorisation, and ensuring EMF-related policies are in line with World Health Organisation recommendations
- 'Fill in' broadband coverage gaps by complementing private sector-led investments with public funding and financial support
Content and services - enable development of innovative content, services and business models
- Facilitate industry collaboration on the delivery of interoperable, pan-European services that can help realise new market scale opportunities for the whole economy
- Ensure operators can continue to manage data traffic so they can deliver innovative services that work and provide the quality of service that consumers and businesses expect
- Update pan-European content licensing rules to enable new business models for rights holders and commercial users, and attractive content offers for consumers
Confidence - help build consumer trust in new services and encourage their take-up
- Update EU data privacy rules so they are clear and consistent for consumers across the mobile ecosystem value chain, as well as flexible enough to address potential future risks, whilst encouraging innovation
- Continue to support mobile industry led self-regulatory initiatives on child protection in areas such as parental controls, education and awareness, and on-line child abuse images
- Promote and prioritise initiatives to develop eSkills and increase digital literacy
Bouverot continued: "Europe has been an innovator and leader from the inception of mobile communications, although this leadership position has weakened in recent years. The third wave of mobile and the delivery of connected services present a new and substantial opportunity for future growth. It is my wish that the mobile industry and European institutions establish a positive policy framework that will continue to position Europe at the forefront of this exciting industry."
The Connected Europe event will include Connected Living, a showcase of live, interactive demonstrations and highly visual case studies looking at how mobile is transforming business, education, healthcare, utilities and transport.
Connected Europe: Supporting Growth with Mobile is taking place at L'Arsenal and La Chaufferie in Brussels on Wednesday, 28 November 2012 at 13:30-18:30.
- ENDS -
Notes to Editors
(1) Source: GSMA European Mobile Observatory 2011
(3) Source of all data relating to mobile connected devices, total connected devices, revenues for key industries and operators is Machina Research (November 2012)
(4) Source: GSMA Wireless Intelligence (November 2012)
(5) Summary of the potential impact of the mobile industry on Europe's four key 2020 targets:
- Mobile network operators are investing billions per year to provide the network capacity and coverage to meet surging data traffic levels
- With the ability to capture real-time use information and provide remote control, embedded mobile connectivity can make a wide range of device, machines and vehicles more effective and resource efficient
- Embedded mobile connectivity will provide further growth impetus by enabling new business models and providing new market and revenue opportunities across many sectors
- The mobile industry directly employs over 370,000 people in the European Union and supports an estimated 1.7 million further jobs (2010)
- It is also a key driver for new jobs, in particular by enabling start-up companies to get connected to millions of potential partners and customers, and by creating revenue and growth opportunities in other sectors
- Mobile has played and will continue to play a key role in connecting socio-economically disadvantaged groups to services and digital opportunities, including through mEducation
- The mobile industry continues to invest heavily in innovation as evidenced by continuing improvements in the capacity, coverage and robustness of mobile networks
- These fast, ubiquitous, secure and interoperable networks have provided the speed, reach and scale to ignite vibrant content and service innovation
- Embedded mobile connectivity will create further opportunities for innovation across a range of sectors
- Mobile technologies are being used to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and costs across a wide range of sectors by enabling smart traffic management and logistics, smart power grids and meters, and smart buildings
- The mobile industry has made a significant effort to reduce its own carbon emissions, and in 2010 the GSMA launched the Mobile Energy Efficiency Benchmarking Service, which provides operators with a measure of their network energy efficiency
- GSMA's 2012 Green Manifesto demonstrates that mobile can cut man-made GHG emissions in other sectors by as much as four to five times the mobile industry's own carbon footprint
About the GSMA
The GSMA represents the interests of mobile operators worldwide. Spanning more than 220 countries, the GSMA unites nearly 800 of the world's mobile operators with more than 230 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem, including handset makers, software companies, equipment providers and Internet companies, as well as organisations in industry sectors such as financial services, healthcare, media, transport and utilities. The GSMA also produces industry-leading events such as the Mobile World Congress and Mobile Asia Expo.
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,908
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 28, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,345
IoT generates lots of temporal data. But how do you unlock its value? How do you coordinate the diverse moving parts that must come together when developing your IoT product? What are the key challenges addressed by Data as a Service? How does cloud computing underlie and connect the notions of Digital and DevOps What is the impact of the API economy? What is the business imperative for Cognitive Computing? Get all these questions and hundreds more like them answered at the 18th Cloud Expo...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,272
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 28, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,218
SYS-CON Events announced today the How to Create Angular 2 Clients for the Cloud Workshop, being held June 7, 2016, in conjunction with 18th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Angular 2 is a complete re-write of the popular framework AngularJS. Programming in Angular 2 is greatly simplified. Now it’s a component-based well-performing framework. The immersive one-day workshop led by Yakov Fain, a Java Champion and a co-founder of the IT consultancy Farata Systems and...
May. 28, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,043
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 28, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,615
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 28, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,258
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 28, 2016 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,183
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 28, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,425
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 28, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,975
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 28, 2016 07:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,674
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 28, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,248
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,109
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 28, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,239
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 28, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,192
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,562
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 28, 2016 03:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,317
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 28, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 841
The essence of data analysis involves setting up data pipelines that consist of several operations that are chained together – starting from data collection, data quality checks, data integration, data analysis and data visualization (including the setting up of interaction paths in that visualization). In our opinion, the challenges stem from the technology diversity at each stage of the data pipeline as well as the lack of process around the analysis.
May. 28, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,463
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 28, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,939